handstraps

Associate
hi all, just after a bit of advice regarding camera handstraps. I currently use the standard camera strap but find it gets in the way and flaps around. I tend to keep my camera mainly in my hand even when the strap is around my neck. Also when using a tripod any wind or breeze blows the strap around so i find i have to hold the strap to prevent loss of sharpness being careful not to knock the tripod. Can anyone who has used a handstrap let me know if they are good to use and maybe recommend etc

Associate
I've been using an Optech Neoprene Wrist Strap as I totally hated the standard canon neck strap and it was a relatively cheap option. Unlike the more conventional hand strap, that attach to two points on the camera, it allows me to let go of the camera and just let it dangle while I use both hands for fiddly things like removing and replacing lense covers or changing CF cards etc.

The quick release attachment allows you to put it down or store the camera back in it's bag and while it's fairly comfortable, if worn for a while it can get a little warm on the wrist.

The downsides of it are that it's a little difficult to just let the camera go while trying to open a gate or the like, where the camera would then bash the object. Also while I don't mind the weight on my arm of a gripped 50D with tamron 17-50, I really wouldn't want to carry any more weight with it so my forthcoming 70-200 purchase is going to make me consider other options. I'd really say that a hand strap is only really useful with a relatively lite camera.

With this in mind I'm actually considering the blackrapid style straps that go over one shoulder and allow the camera to hang down beside your waist. Obviously a little more expensive than a simple hand strap but they allow the weight to be carried more easily/comfortably for long periods and certainly in the case of the blackrapid come with a locking connector that would allow the complete removal of the strap for times when you want to tripod the camera.

There are other manufacturers or such shoulder straps and you can probably even source all the materials to make your own if you so desired.

Associate
Considered a sling strap? Sounds like it would suit you well. The camera rests in as easily reachable position, and its comfortable to walk with your hand resting on the camera too.

Black Rapid is the most popular one, but I currently have a cheaper version (Q Strap) and I love it. Very quick to release from the L plate too for tripod work.

Associate
I use a hand strap by phottix, removed old neck strap totally, it uses one of the normal strap points and comes round underneath to screw on in tripod screw, it also has another screw point to still allow tripod.
I find the strap really comfortable and still allows me to get to every dial and button without removing hand from strap, only gripe is it covers the battery compartment so have to loosen screw a bit to charge

Associate
OP
thanks for the info everyone. The Matin handstrap arrived today so i fitted it and got some snaps to show how it looks. Ive left the neck strap on for now untill ive had chance to try it out. It feels secure and i can adjust the main controls whilst holding the camera in one hand keeping the other free. It has a plate that screws into the tripod mount on the camera with an alternative mount hole in the plate.I can still access the battery with it fitted so all good so far.

7074595479_edffcf4a77_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7074596991_6b8c4d8dcf_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7074598573_54e77da8fa_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7074600289_f6b707cec1_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Soldato
So the neck strap then attached to the left and bottom, so the camera is sideways when it's dangling free? That's a bit.. weird. I'm sure the Canon one used to have a connector on the handstrap itself that you put the neck strap on so it still connected to the same points.

Associate
OP
quick update, i used the camera today and found the handstrap secure and comfortable. I put the neck strap on as a back up but took it off once i found i was happy . Regarding mounting the neck strap to the side the camera does hang straight down but it is easy to get hold of that way plus the neck strap stays clear of the camera when shooting.

Soldato
I just warp the neck strap around my hand does exactly the same as a hand strap but can also be put around my neck.

Well I used to b4 getting a black rapid

Back
Top Bottom