Hanging heavy items from plasterboard

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi all,

I want to hang a 3.8kg fixture off a sloped plaster board ceiling. You can get something which does this I think... where screws go into the plaster and then open out like an umbrella behind it distributing the weight of the fixture to be fixed.

Thing is, I'm not sure what they're called or exactly what they look like. Would appreciate any help!

I'm not sure but i think linking to competitors is a blanket rule, not just for items that you can buy here, so maybe be ready to remove the links.

Otherwise, is there no possible chance of attaching it elsewhere?

You'd be far better off anchoring it in the wooden studs. I find all those fancy plasterboard screws eventually pull through leaving you even more work to fix it all up. If theres no wooden studs in the right place, you can fix a board to the wall either to the studs of the brick behind, then screw your item to the board.

Only trouble with these is the massive hole needed to use them and they only use 2 narrow points on which to bear the weight and invariably they will pull through causing damage to the board

These are by far the better fixing to use with plasterboard though you may want to be careful when using on a sloped ceiling.
I've used these for attaching towel rails to the wall and to hang chandeliers from ceilings where access to the void is impossible.
As mentioned by Dava and OspreyO, the best way is to find a joist, or stud, and fix there or, if you can gain access to the void, use a piece of timber on the other side of the plaster board and screw through

generally people use cavity fixings rather than the spring ones

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/thorsman-1776111-trade-tub-containing-200-cavity-wall-fixings-with-screws-p8738

but as said above on the ceilings your best knocking around until you find abit of wood or something to screw into.

Used these before and tbh they are not that good.....they have a tendency to chew the plasterboard up and weaken it and in time pull through.

Last edited:
I have a 40" Sony TV attached to plasterboard. You'll want to use hollow wall anchors (linked to above). There is a bit of a knack to getting them in nice and firmly with no turning (it's easy to make a mess of them) but they are absolutely solid. I could hang off my wall bracket.

You want to have a look at these as I've got plasterboard and put various items up and works well.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-plasterboard-plugs-hdf-4mm-8ga-pack-of-100/58219

I think the thicker the wall plug, the more leverage it has on holding the item up.

They are good but the only downside is that the point of contact on the back of the board is very close to the hole and therefore unsuitable for suspending heavy weights from ceilings......they are designed more for walls where the load is a shearing weight

In my house the kids managed to pull things clean off the wall regardless of those fancy plugs. All it achieved was creating a large 4~6" hole on the plaster board. The only ones that stayed were those fixed to timber.

That said I think the plasterboard in my place is poor quality stuff.

The other side is if you have to take a screw out at a later date. its much easier from wood than these plastic and metal screws.

Last edited:
I recently removed a bunch of wall cupboards that were hanging off plaster board using the bolts that expand behind the plaster board, I found most of them hadn't actually expanded and had simply crumpled up, when I was trying to pull them out they all just yanked out, I was amazed the cupboards had stayed up.

When it came to hanging my new TV I used the screw fixings linked to earlier and luckily there was a wooden batten in the wall at the right place.

Used these before and tbh they are not that good.....they have a tendency to chew the plasterboard up and weaken it and in time pull through.

If fitted properly following the guidance on the packet and the load on them is as advised on the packet they are absolutely invaluable. I've been doing so for 15 years when I can't find stone or batten to screw into.

For heavier loads where I need to mount on plasterboard I'll use interset style ones, but you need the correct one for the plasterboard or they'll simply damage the back of the plasterboard.

Back
Top Bottom