Hard Drive constantly seeking after startup

Associate
Hopefully someone can help...

Running vista ultimate in 32bit. computer works just fine after the 10 minutes from startup but during this time the hard drive is constantly seeking/hunting/searching whatever you may call it but it goes like the clappers and the computer is slightly slower untill it stops. I have disabled the indexing service and stopped windows defender, am running kaspersky security suite but all seems fine in those settings, msconfic doesnt seem to show anything... HELP any ideas folk

Cheers

Soldato
Thats perfectly normal in vista,used to do my head in tho when i used vista.

EDIT

just read that u have turned off indexing,so not sure whats up.

Soldato
It's probably the SuperFetch feature, loading files and apps into RAM so they start quicker when you use them. Mine seems to do it too (as I'm sure virtually all systems with Vista do).

Soldato
Same thing, used systeminternals filemonitor, and even though indexing service was turned off, it was still indexing service chewing up the hard drive... I can only guess that superfetch uses parts of indexing to locate what to cache, your guess is as good as mine.

Soldato
I noticed the same thing after installing Vista 64bit, also have Indexing disabled on HDD, it only does this for the first 5-10mins and then settles down, I think it is something to do with Vista loading programs into Pagefile/Ram (Superfetch) for quicker access....I'm sure someone will give a more definitive answer by and by. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes this is perfectly normal and is they way Windows Vista is designed, it will always try to fill up all the RAM in your machine with application data which it determines you commonly use. Caching your apps should allow them to start quicker. Of course it has to get this data into RAM which is why your seeing the hard drive activity at bootup. Unused memory is a complete waste and Microsoft is only pulling it's OS into line with Linux which has been doing this for years.

Back
Top Bottom