Hard-Drive Failier #3

Associate
Ok to cut a long story ive had this PC for about 10 months and on 3 different times it has come up with the error System32 is missing or corrupt. After re-installing windows (sujested by the IT Helpline) I have downloaded Seatgate Tools for the 3 time now it is reporting my hard-drive has failed 3 out of 4 of the scans.

(Link to a previous post)
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14920639&posted=1#post14920639

Am i unlucky with Hard-Drives or could there be an underlying fault with my tower.

Thanks for any help you can give
Krellor

Associate
OP
Ok just a quick update (I lost my rag and my patience) and formated the hdd and reinstalled windows xp pro. After some updates I downloaded the diagnostic tool from WD webby and tested the drive with the two tests. It failed both the tests.
Downloaded seagate tools and performed the four tests. Failed theree outa the four.
By the powers of deduction, my HDD is screwed for the third time. 2xsegate and 1xWD3200aaks.
Because its still under warranty I cant actually pull the side cover off and investigate cables and connections(warranty seals), but going over some off the leaflets that came with the pc it seems i have a EZCool power supply of unknown power and after a quick check they seem to be rather poor PS.

So a couple of questions:
Can a poor PS screw up HD's ?
If I replace the HDD through my warranty should i also replace the PS for something a little better?
Is there anychance of taking the tower back to the shop and asking for a refund, as 3 repairs in 8months the PC is clearly not fit for the job it was sold for?
Cheers and Thanks.

Soldato
I would say the PSU and them Mobo are the most likely cause, if you haven't been extremely unlucky and had 3 bad drives.
I can't see how ram would damage a HDD.

Temperature could be the problem, though it would have to be high. Run HD Tune or something similar and look at the health tab to find how hot it's ever been.

The shop don't have to give a refund as long as they repair it in a reasonable time. That doesn't mean they won't, but don't hold your breath. :)

Associate
OP
Dont think the temps would be too hot as theres a 120mm fan right in front of it, and 120mm at the rear of the case, possible of poor quality but its still airflow. CPU is a e8400 with a stock clock and cooler and a 9600gso Gcard, which would make a some heat but the HDD is getting cool air from the front. But all advice is welcome so when i get home I DL it and investigate. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom