hardware explained? software suggested!

Associate
h.t.p.c software and remote compatibility

ok im going to build a htpc for basic video and music use i whant to be able to watch films in all formats (divx/xvid/avi are my preferred formats but i will beusing mpeg video file in dvd format and vob/sub files to im not worried about video conversion or editing i also whant freeview television on my sytem with easo of use.
ok what i need to know, i have never used a remote in windows before how do these work? can they replace the basic navigation and and uses of a keyboard and mouse ie: can i move through 3rd party programs with a xp media centre specific remote ,up ,down ,left ,right ,enter etc so i know the remote will be usefull for any media software i install.
secondly the software i dont really whant to use winxp media edition i love the look and feel of meedio but when i used the pro triel i couldnt find anything for tv viewing and when i tryed to open an xvid/divx video file it had to use a external player to do so then i had to maximize the screen size myself to fit the tele this is no good.
i whant all my playback needs to be taken care of by a single software with the feel of a meedio type program.
also i would like this program to launch of its own accord as soon as windows is started how hard is this to do? and do i need a certain type of software to do it.
so if you could leave your views and opinions on software ,you find usefull about them and what are there drawback if any and is it enugh to warant not using that particular software. thnx

Last edited:
Soldato
comradpoplin! said:
ok im going to build a htpc for basic video and music use i whant to be able to watch films in all formats (divx/xvid/avi are my preferred formats but i will beusing mpeg video file in dvd format and vob/sub files to im not worried about video conversion or editing i also whant freeview television on my sytem with easo of use.
ok what i need to know, i have never used a remote in windows before how do these work? can they replace the basic navigation and and uses of a keyboard and mouse ie: can i move through 3rd party programs with a xp media centre specific remote ,up ,down ,left ,right ,enter etc so i know the remote will be usefull for any media software i install.
secondly the software i dont really whant to use winxp media edition i love the look and feel of meedio but when i used the pro triel i couldnt find anything for tv viewing and when i tryed to open an xvid/divx video file it had to use a external player to do so then i had to maximize the screen size myself to fit the tele this is no good.
i whant all my playback needs to be taken care of by a single software with the feel of a meedio type program.
also i would like this program to launch of its own accord as soon as windows is started how hard is this to do? and do i need a certain type of software to do it.
so if you could leave your views and opinions on software ,you find usefull about them and what are there drawback if any and is it enugh to warant not using that particular software. thnx
[quoted for after you have re-written it]

This is too much work - please re-write it in English, with Punctuation and Case.

Going by the very end of what you have written, you are after a Media-Centre lookalike and peoples opinions :confused: if so, then I can highly recommend GB-PVR or MediaPortal, both capable of performing everything needed to run a HTPC.

If the hardware TV card comes with BDA drivers, then GB-PVR is a breeze to set up

Associate
OP
ok does this help explain a bit better

GOAL: Build a H.T.P.C to take care of all my media needs films/music/pictures/television etc. i whant it to be able to record television programs and everything else you expect a basic H.T.P.C to do

HARDWARE: I have the bulk of the hardware i need cpu ,motherboard ,dvd rom ,hard drive etc: what i need and would like input on is choice of tuner card and to keep in mind i live in the uk so HDTV isnt an issue at the minute.
I will be fitting an lcd screen between 5" and 7" on the front of it so what is the best to go for keeping in mind i dont whant to have to mod this to much to make it run on the pc power supply and hook to my 9600pro video card. i have the chance of picking up a screen from a psone console, you know the ones that fitted to the top i just dont know how much work would go into fitting that to the psu. i do know that you can plug in an outside video source but im unsure how i would rig them both up (psone screen and television) as they would both have to go into the svideo port on my grfx card wouldnt they?
lastly on the hardware front is the remote controle. i whant a remote that can do basic keyboard and mouse functions in any program ie: navigation entering menues and the like (pardon my noobness i have never used a remote in windows so i have no idea how they work with other software, how they interact with windows) can windows media centre remotes work in other softwrae or are they only for media centre.

SOFTWARE:ok i dont really whant to use windows media centre if i can help it. i really liked the look and feel of meedio this in my mind was a nice program to use with a nice gui but when i was using the pro free triel i didnt see any tv viewing function. i also didnt like the fact that when i tryed to open a divx file it had to use an outside media player to do so.
id like the media software to take care of everything and divx/xvid are my preferred format.
id also like the software of choice to execute as soon as windows logs in without any need for me to execute it myself

if you have any ideas of what you consider superior hard ware or software please let me know with why you feel this

Back
Top Bottom