• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hardware (XFX xxx 4850) Lockup during stress tests + Crysis

Associate
Picked up an ATI 4850 for my PC but it seems to be going a tad wrong.

System consists of:
Overclocked Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6Ghz 6MB Cache 1333FSB CPU
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 DDR2 Crossfire Motherboard
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 Dual Channel DDR2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 XMS-2-6400 TwinX
Antec Sonata III Quiet Super Mini Tower - 500W PSU
EarthWatts 500 Watt power supply (80 PLUS® certified)

Vista is pretty much up to date and I'm using the latest drivers from ATI. (Cat 9.3 and I've also tried some older ones) but I'm having problems with Crysis and some other Video stress tests like Future Mark and the Source Engine one. They play for a minute or so before the system hard crashes and requires a reset. Of the few crashes I’ve seen most are lockups (stuttering sound requiring a power off reset) and others giving a screen full of vertical green lines requiring a power off reset)

It seems all other games run fine for extended periods at high settings. (Left 4 Dead at absolute max settings, 1650x1080 for an hour with no problems) Empire total war on Ultra. Unreal Tournament 3, Far Cry, you name it its all good apart from the aforementioned stress tests.

I've tried a number of the most common things including unplugging all the most essential components. (USB devices and the DVDDRW) but I'm now at my wits end as I cant see a good reason why this shoudlnt work. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom