Harmless fun or sexist bigotry?

Soldato
At what point does a tongue and cheek advert become offensive?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-49035175

Personally I think it is silly to get offended by this, just as i would not get offended if they did a sister campaign (can you use that term now) with a good looking man on it.

PS side comment.
why is it ok to depict a topless man on an advert but not a topless woman. Some may say that is inequality right there.

Soldato
OP
Honestly. Who cares
presumably the people who complained.

As for me, I was just curious. Maybe i am a dinosaur but i just do not see it as offensive..... Now the wonderbra adverts however......... they dont offend me but i actually do think they are dangerous (be it whether the tag line is hello boys! or hello me! they are definitely designed when on the side of roads to make drivers - of what ever persuasion - take their eyes off the road.

I would be more worried about such a billboard to cause an accident than i would subliminally subvert a girl into thinking she was in anyway inferior to a boy, or make a boy think he was in any way superior to a girl.

It's 2019 so....

IM OFFENDED AND YOU'RE A BIGOT!

lol not the 1st time i have been accused of it ;)

Soldato
OP
Ok, one person complained.

Apparently that constitutes enough for a BBC news story and forum discussion now.

it is a BBC news story.... I posted and people responded so yep, apparently you are correct :).

looking at the stuff which seems to get talked about on these forums it seems reasonable.... of course the beauty of online forum threads is no one forces anyone to take part.,

Soldato
OP
Standard GD. This place has become a place for red faced men to congregate moaning about some tweet a nobody has made.
lol..... this is hilarious... who is moaning? I asked a question, was just light hearted banter.. at least from my side.

please tell me who is getting hot and bothered because that seems a strawman to me.

Soldato
OP
Hang on.... Clearly I do not agree with her, or her attitude in general.... BUT TBH I do think plastering photos of her and ridiculing her is a step too far. Pretty mean to be honest imo and if anything gives weight to her argument intimating that men are bigoted pigs! :(

Soldato
OP
The as company skillfully weaved a tale of potential backlash, gaining the advert more publicity than it would naturally

IF that turned out to be true it would be marketing genius as it is clearly worked.

That said....... whilst the advert sticks in my mind, i still have not got a clue on the company name, chances are if i was the sort of person swayed by adverts like that i would go home and buy an air con unit from a cheapo rival from amazon rather than the people who funded the add

Back
Top Bottom