Has anyone had a boundary dispute and if so how did it go?

Associate
Hi all, so bought my house about a year ago. At the time the back garden was so over grown you could barely access a lot of it. After it was all hacked back I noticed a sizeable chunk of the side of the back garden had been taken by next door.

Basically what they have done is put a wall between our garages (I should be able to walk down the side of it acccording to deeds) and then put a wall on the back of the garage. As in the picture below.

Left: How it should be. Right: How it is.

QW2meRk.jpg

I looked at Google earth and rolled back the years and see it happened around 10 years ago. It looks like there used to be a big thick hedge. Which he has removed and then put a wall in right over my side.

Now I was considering wether to bring it up or not, presuming if I do it will be the end of friendly relations. My dad decided to bring it up with him and he aggressively replied "it always been like that" and then was heard slamming his bins and kicking things about in his garden. So to get anything done I would think would need to be via other channels.

How has this worked out for others? I'd rather get on with my neighbours but at the same time I don't think its right.

Associate
OP
Until you get dragged into court...this is not good advice. The titles show a straight line boundary between the pair and also shows the garages touching, unlike the diagram so either something has changed or the plans aren't quite right.

OP - sent you email. Pics would help analyse better...!

Thanks for that :) I'll get some pictures in daylight.

Associate
OP
Out of interest, you say it happened around 10 years ago - has the neighbour been there that long? Or is it possible he inherited the land grab? :p

They've been there even longer. From what I can tell from Google earth there used to be a wide hedge at one point which was removed and a wall put up right up against my side.

How much land are we talking about ?

Hard to say really, but a traingular chunk maybe 6ft at its widest point.

Anyway sorry all for the slow response all, life has got in the way somewhat lately. Here are some pictures:

My garage on the left, theirs on the right. Eccuse the rubble I've been having some construction done. Towards the back you can see the wall they have constructed between the two which means I can't go down:

uZY4j62.jpg

Land registry boundary, which I think shows I should be able to go down the side? It does differ slightly from the one @SeatIbiza got for me.

2mttiy1.jpg

Associate
OP
My view is that the garage is built onto the boundary i.e. you've not got space down the side.

If anything, that sliver is down on their side of the plans, it's not obvious from the above, but it is on the MapSearch system...

Fair enough I can accept that if that is your view. Thanks again for sending the maps over :)

Back
Top Bottom