Has the 5D Mark II changed your opinion on video in SLRs?

olv

olv

Soldato
When it was announced that the 5D Mark II would have the feature to record video as well as being a stills camera I was a little apprehensive about it. I guess it was a similar feeling as when live view started to become popular and I thought that somehow these features would begin to dilute photography in someway and it would become more gimmicky.

I have to say how wrong I was though. Some of the videos that have come out of 5D are stunning. The quality of the footage and control over DOF that the full frame sensor allows is superb. It seems to have given a lot of photographers, who wouldn't have normally bothered to buy a high quality video camera, the ability to use their creativity in a new medium and I think that's great.

I for one am happy to see HD video recording becoming more common place across Canon's range and after seeing what can be achieved with the 5D and would definitely look to a body with video as my next upgrade.

How about you? Were you apprehensive about video like me and have since changed your mind? Did you always embrace and still do? Or were you a hater then and a hater now?

Oh and I think it's important to have a reminder of what really began to change my mind, Vincent La Foret's Reverie

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326

olv

olv

Soldato
OP
I had a gentleman ask me just today how my Sony Z7 (1080p HDV camcorder, approx. £4.5k) compared to the Mk II. And I have no idea, naturally, having not used the 5D.

Out of interest, what size is the sensor in the Sony? Presumably it's a 3 CCD sensor but is it as large as a 5D sensor (36mm x 19mm?)?

Back
Top Bottom