Has the recent post count started to kill MM?

Associate
So... I am mostly a long time lurker here, I don't post hugely often. But I will get engaged in discussion every now and again and I probably use MM more than any other bit. But I do feel that ever since this rolling post count and MM removal has started it is slowly killing it. Which is really sad :(

What are peoples thoughts?

No, it’s 5 posts a month needed to keep access. If you can’t manage that then it’s obvious you aren’t interested in being part of the community, you’re just treating the place like a PC hardware gumtree or FB marketplace. MM was setup for active forum members to buy and sell their unwanted items, it wasn’t detup for any Tom Dick or Harry to pop in randomly and pick up a few bargains for theirselves.

Last edited:
No, it’s one post every 3 days needed to keep access. If you can’t manage that then it’s obvious you aren’t interested in being part of the community, you’re just treating the place like a PC hardware gumtree or FB marketplace. MM was setup for active forum members to buy and sell their unwanted items, it wasn’t detup for any Tom Dick or Harry to pop in randomly and pick up a few bargains for theirselves.

Spoken like a man who has averaged well over 10 posts per day since joining back in 2010.

:D

Although not in the same league I also comfortably meet the MM requirement, although I haven't used it in ages.

Last edited:
Don't think I have ever treated it like such, I have a few sub-forums I tend to read. I do like to nosey around and see whats selling. I have gained and lost access a few times over the year though. I am always active on these forums though looking every day. But having been here over 10 years at this point, my post count still isn't very high.

Kill would be a slight exaggeration but I have noticed it does seem to be a bit slower than it used to be. And I suppose that's to be expected given that there's literally less people with access to it.

The current posting limit seems relatively fair for keeping forum contributors as part of the core community with access to it but I think if it was upped again, then I would probably struggle to keep access to it and presumably it would have less people in it by that stage as well.

Don't think I have ever treated it like such, I have a few sub-forums I tend to read. I do like to nosey around and see whats selling. I have gained and lost access a few times over the year though. I am always active on these forums though looking every day. But having been here over 10 years at this point, my post count still isn't very high.
I guess the extremely realistic threshold helps the forum not to die by encouraging people to contribute rather than just read.

It is definitely quieter than it used to be I don’t think anybody can deny that.

Some users seem to get really defensive about the MM but if long time users who’d previously gained access still had access then they might advertise things on there before going to other options first, it’s not all take

Only 5 posts a month to retain access to MM? I thought it was 15!

I’d noticed the MM was slower even before access was restricted by post count. I just put it down to people holding on to their hardware for longer and fewer people building their own PCs

Don't worry folks, I'm on my way! Can I import my (Hexus for clarity) TRUST ? ;)

But in reality OCUK don't really get much out of MM apart from goodwill, so if it dies it's probably no biggie. The rolling post count thing seems fair to me.

Last edited:
It may have gotten quieter, but it's certainly removed the leeches who would only read and post in the MM as if to jump on every deal they possibly can.

It is definitely quieter than it used to be I don’t think anybody can deny that.

Some users seem to get really defensive about the MM but if long time users who’d previously gained access still had access then they might advertise things on there before going to other options first, it’s not all take

That screams of entitlement though. Just because a user may have previously posted a lot and had MM access doesn't mean they obtain lifetime access. They have to contribute just as someone who joined yesterday. As others have mentioned above, the required post counts are very low anyway and frankly if someone cannot make the effort to meet those requirements then they are rightly not welcome to use a community resource.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it's fair, PC hardware just seems in a bit of a boring place right now with so few big games it feels like people are changing their set up less

Don't worry folks, I'm on my way! Can I import my TRUST ? ;)

But in reality OCUK don't really get much out of MM apart from goodwill, so if it dies it's probably no biggie. The rolling post count thing seems fair to me.
Not sure how someone who joined in 2022 knows about the Trust system? Unless you had a previous account here…

So... I am mostly a long time lurker here, I don't post hugely often. But I will get engaged in discussion every now and again and I probably use MM more than any other bit. But I do feel that ever since this rolling post count and MM removal has started it is slowly killing it. Which is really sad :(

What are peoples thoughts?
As someone that was originally against the change I actually think it has really boosted interaction (in the wider forum).
I certainly post more now, far beyond the minimum.

Regarding the MM, yes a slowdown but now we know it's active members getting great deals.

Last edited:
I think the current system is great. As Rob said, MM is like a side benefit where you could sell to fellow forum members who will hopefully be easy to deal with. I think in the past it was obvious there were people who were just buying to immediately re-sell, not because they wanted items for themselves.

You had to love interactions like:
"For sale, AMD 7950X, I'm the original buyer, priced for quick sale - £400."
"Hi 'mate', would you accept £20 delivered, insured and fully tracked? I'll also need detailed instructions on how to install and lifetime technical support."

Back
Top Bottom