Have i gone too far?

Soldato
I always believed that the best way to learn is by getting hands on experience, but i feel i may have gone a little too far, one portion of my room currently resembles the following.

overkill.jpg

And this is only half of it...The Cisco Lab is going on top!!!

But it has taught me 100 times more than ive learnt from the myriad of MS/Comptia/HP certifications and accreditations.

Soldato
Meh, thats nothing. I had about 5 servers kicking around the house at one point. Parents were going nutts.

I agree that there is nothing better than a good mess around with kit in order to learn something.

BTW: Is one of your hard drives dead in that server?

Soldato
Looks like an impressive Compaq server though. If you're learning a lot and you can afford the costs then I say go for it! :)

I'm just starting out on the Windows server-side of thing's so my setup is pretty basic (Epia M6000-based desktop) but I'm already learning a lot about it in one day than I have in previous months just reading the book.

Soldato
OP
BTW: Is one of your hard drives dead in that server?

Global online hot spare

:)

afraser2k said:
Looks like an impressive Compaq server though. If you're learning a lot and you can afford the costs then I say go for it! :)

Youll be supprised the server above is an Compaq ML370 pre HP days but its only first generation, HP are currently at generation 4 on most server class platforms.

But for £200 ive got 6 * 18.2Gb SCSI Hard drive configurable as Raid 1/0/5, a solid platform, Dual CPU capability and the HP management features, i admit that this system wouldnt do must good as a file/print server in a large environment but could still provide redundant functions for a domain or small business.

The present version of this server goes for arround the £1500 mark.

Associate
You can never have too many PC's! :D
There must be limits but the only one have found is the electricity bill :rolleyes: ( Ducks another crockery item hefted by the other half) :eek:

Soldato
stvmor said:
You can never have too many PC's! :D
There must be limits but the only one have found is the electricity bill :rolleyes: ( Ducks another crockery item hefted by the other half) :eek:

Hide a generator in another computer case... problem solved :D

Back
Top Bottom