Have I made any mistakes?

Associate
Hi all, just put together a new full-system shopping cart, first time in like 6 years!

Minus the case (I have sourced a InWin 301c from elsewhere) does my build make sense? I worry about bottlenecks - eg RAM that will mean I don't get the most out of my CPU etc. Or anything major I've forgotten! Any thoughts really appreciated, thanks!

OCUK shopping cart screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/v9lXu7W

Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply! I wasn't aware of the paste to forum function, sorry about that.

I'm a game developer and I do quite a lot of work in Blender and/or with multiple VMs, and fairly often start swapping on my current 16GB build so was really wanting to push for 32GB but RAM is crazy expensive these days! I was also a bit limited on RAM heat-spreader dimensions given the CPU cooler, which is itself a result of wanting a fairly small case, I'll check over your RAM recommendation many thanks.

Yeah I realised too late that I had chosen a bad pricepoint on the 1080, I'll go with your recommendation.

On the gaming side, I am more interested in long-term cost efficiency - I'm upgrading from my venerable HD7850 and i5-3570k, which has lasted so many years without complaint. I am intending on getting a 4k monitor, but will be sticking with 3/4 1080 monitors for now - source code real-estate matters more than anything! I'll be salvaging the HDDs from my old build.

The AS5 and getting an overspecced PSU are old habits from the 90s I guess :) I'll save some money there also.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom