Have you 'grown up' musically?

Man of Honour
I'm older than most on here and if theres one thing that gets on my nerves is when I meet old friends, discuss the music we were into in the 70/80's and they turn around and say 'I've grown out of that', 'I don't listen to that crap anymore', 'I've mellowed over time' etc etc etc.
I grew up with Buddy Holly, Rock N Roll, The Beatles, The 60's because of my parents and then I got into Northern Soul, Reggae and Motown because of friends. In 1970 I heard my first real rock music and it was a revelation but I never turned my back on my roots. I'm into bands like System Of A Down, The Haunted, Devildriver but still I'll slap some of the old stuff on now and then.

So the question is -
Have you totally turned your back on music you liked when you were younger?

Associate
I have to say im suprised you're into The Haunted,

back when i was in school etc I listened mostly to Pop/Chart/90s Dance (in primary school) and Oasis/ Indie etc throughout secondary school.

Then i discovered shred... started listening to a lot of solo guitarists etc etc...got into Power metal (sonata arctica, Angra etc).

These days my preference is anything thats catchy and harmonious.

Recently discovered a japanese band called Siam Shade who do exactly what im on about. Also into TV theme sort of music... imagine pokemon/power rangers sound track etc etc.

Anything with harmony guitars in it pleases me

I still listen to 90s cheese (primary school disco style) all the time... brings back fond memories of playing football in the park everyday

Last edited:
Associate
I used to listen to thrash metal and still do. a lot of the bands I used to listen to have either split or gone crap. I enjoy stuff like Disturbed, Trivium, Slayer, Drowning Pool, Anthrax and KoRn now. Past bands I enjoyed were Megadeth, Matallica (pre black album stuff), Acid Reign, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower etc...... I have put some of the stuff I used to listen to on now and again but turned it off more or less straight away.

Soldato
Yes and no, I can rediscover music over and over again, and I will always listen to The Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, PIL, KLF and that lot. Then on the flipside I don't think my Spice Girls CD is ever going to get played again. :p

At least, I have no desire for a ZigaZig Ahhhh right now. :D

Soldato
I would say my musical tastes have broadened over time, and the newer stuff I tend to listen to is a lot mellower than it perhaps used to be - though I still buy stuff like SOAD, QOTSA. I first properly started to listen to music with the Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana - and will still listen to the former two a lot (but I am sick of most Nirvana stuff now, but will listen to tracks now and then - as long as they aren't from Nevermind).

I think it's largely due to the fact that I don't like to be tied down with genres, and will happily buy anythiong as long as it appeals in some way to me (lyrics, music, and other emotive mechanisms) - and so most music I own reminds me of certain times in my life, and emotions, so will always have quite a powerful effect on me, even years later :)

Also I still regularly listen to the music I grew up listening to, that my parents loved (Beatles, Elvis, Stones, Dire Straits, Mowtown, etc).

So another yes and no, yes in that my musical tastes are more matured and inclusive of many genres and styles. And no in that I don't listen to the mellower stuff to the exclusion of what I first started listening to (in fact with a litlle imagination most of the music I listen to could probably trace its roots back to the bands I first started listening to).

In fact i cannot think of much music that I have loved at one point in my life that I wouldn't still happily listen to (even Nevermind :p )

Soldato
Hard to answer for me, but since you asked i'll spit it out :).

I've always been into rock music, for as long as i can remember.
Slippery When Wet (Bon Jovi) got me into guitar based music when i was at primary school, got a loan of it from a friend whos brother was into all sorts but mainly rock. I'd found a home in rock music and it continued all through school and into my late teens.
I used to spend all of my wages on tapes and CD's, all rock bands, I'd make a point about buying nothing but rock music, sometimes just buying an album by liking the artwork on the cover. That progressed into metal, thrash, speed and then i started going back the way into prog rock Genesis, DT and the like, until then i'd just shunned prog really.

About 5 or 6 years ago (around the Linkin Park era), i started not liking the newer metal going around and so stopped buying it. System of a down being about the only exception, i was really disappointed in what was on offer. My local is a rock/metal pub and every week the younger folk came in with the latest and greatest album, they'd ask for the must hear song to be played, i'd listen and just stand there thinking "this is p*** poor". All through this time i still gigged constantly, and would go and see just about anyone as support bands can sometimes kick your a** and give you the fresh style/noise you need. About 2 years ago i stopped the "for the hell of it" gigs also.

These days i dont go down the local much. My style has changed, i like the indie bands more, Bright eyes, Joseph Arthur, Bob Mould all of that ilk.

So to answer, what sounded good to me then, still sounds great to me now. I've not changed in that respect, but for the newer stuff of that style that i didnt like, i cant say much has changed, i still dont like it now.

I never got into Marilyn Manson and the fianceé could punch me for that hehe :).
Good thread.

Man of Honour
I was about to say no, but its a mixed answer.

The very first sort of music I was into was dance, so when I first heard prodigy I was blown away. I still listen to them now and they are one of my favourites.

As a teen I was swept along with the nu-metal crowd, I was blown away by limp bizkit and linkin park. Suprisingly, I return to the former far more frequently than the second. But alas, thats maybe a spin once every several months.

I was lead into angsty-rock and got really really heavily into muse. I remember at the time thinking 'muse are not any genre, definately not angsty!' but they are looking back. I still love them, but they are no way in my recently played list. Maybe 6 months since I had a 'Into them' period. These guys have consumed most of my musical interest, but I feel like my interests have grown. Its not as clever as I thought it was, I was just another 16/17 year old thinking he was being different.

Now I'm listening to Radiohead (A natural progression?) but its strange, I now have an urge to get some prodigy experience rolling!

My tastes have changed, and grown up certaintly. But I have never hated anything I once liked.

armyofharmony said:
Then i discovered shred... started listening to a lot of solo guitarists etc etc...got into Power metal (sonata arctica, Angra etc).

These days my preference is anything thats catchy and harmonious.

Recently discovered a japanese band called Siam Shade who do exactly what im on about. Also into TV theme sort of music... imagine pokemon/power rangers sound track etc etc.

Ooooh yes I had this period when I got into guitar as well. I have a huge satriani collection, gathering dust. Although I will never grow out of my shred antics, I far prefer the solo to Radioheads 'Airbag' than Steve Vais the riddle. Pure widdle nonsence just bores me now.

I guess I really have grown up :p

Suspended
I get far too nostalgic to ever fully turn my back on anything that I listened to when I was younger. I even give my Spice Girls CD a spin from time to time, and my Babylon Zoo album gets listened to on a semi-regular basis.

When I was 10-12ish I listened to a lot of Gene Pitney, Roy Orbison, Dean Martin, Buddy Holly, Don McLean etc because that was what my parents played. At the time I thought that they were absolutely the bees knees. I'm now more into them than ever :cool:.

Associate
When I was younger I liked Nirvana as that was what my brother was into. I also liked Blur, Oasis and the Verve etc, basically brit pop/indie. As I've grown up I've changed a lot and I'm majorly into electronic music now but Blur will always have a soft spot in my heart :)

Associate
haha, i know exactly what you mean here.

i like to think that if i enjoy the band/music then it gets added to the huge list of music i like. now back before i really 'knew' what i liked im sure i listened to some crap but i think it was the day i started playing the guitar that i got serious about what i liked and didnt like. there are no bands that i have refused to listen to on the grounds of it being 'un-cool' shall we say. so if i like it it will go along side my love for the rest. i generally give most things a try... but its been a while since i was impressed by new talent...

i would say thou that i can no longer stand Nirvana. but i think thats the only one i have turned my back on. im still listening to the music my dad got me into at the beggining of the guitar playing (Rory Gallagher, Richard Thompson, John Otway, Patto, Colloseum, Mountain, The Who, Status Quo, and most importantly, to me, The Hamsters)

a few of my friends like to think that they have 'grown-up' musically and for me at least its painful to see. we all used to love the same thing e.g. guns n roses, ACDC (which i still love) but thats deemed un cool and not listenable by most now. even though back in the day it was all that was talked about. i feel like im stuck in a time warp. it maybe a bad thing, but its how i am...

Soldato
When I was younger (I'm nearly 32 now) I was very much into the "britpop" scene - I worshipped Oasis, Pulp, Elastica, etc. I would buy at least one CD every week, usually a couple. I also thought it was cool to be into bands nobody had ever heard of.....actually I was into Oasis way before they hit the big time :) I also had to go to gigs as much as possible.....the more obscure the band the better.....more cred points :D

Then I kinda lost interest in the music scene for a few years....I can't really explain why....just got bored. I probably didn't buy a single CD for years!

But the past year or so I've gotten interested again - and I have to say I feel very liberated. Why? Because now I'm older I can just listen to what I feel like and don't care about what's "cool" anymore. It's great - I have a subscription to Yahoo Music and I'm just going nuts! :) From Abba to Pink Floyd, Elton John to Kylie....whatever takes me fancy. It's great.

Associate
Nitefly said:
I was about to say no, but its a mixed answer.

The very first sort of music I was into was dance, so when I first heard prodigy I was blown away. I still listen to them now and they are one of my favourites.

As a teen I was swept along with the nu-metal crowd, I was blown away by limp bizkit and linkin park. Suprisingly, I return to the former far more frequently than the second. But alas, thats maybe a spin once every several months.

I was lead into angsty-rock and got really really heavily into muse. I remember at the time thinking 'muse are not any genre, definately not angsty!' but they are looking back. I still love them, but they are no way in my recently played list. Maybe 6 months since I had a 'Into them' period. These guys have consumed most of my musical interest, but I feel like my interests have grown. Its not as clever as I thought it was, I was just another 16/17 year old thinking he was being different.

Now I'm listening to Radiohead (A natural progression?) but its strange, I now have an urge to get some prodigy experience rolling!

You stole my life!

Thats actually the exact same description for me. Except I havn't stopped loving muse and I don't like radiohead. But everything before that is true. Maybe not so much limp bizkit, more linkin park :p But yeah, from dance to rock, all in 6 years ish.

Soldato
I was brought up on 60's, 70's and classical music as well as the 80's stuff I occasionally saw on totp so I like all that type of music. I got my own stereo in the 90's so started listening to more modern stuff and I still enjoy that music as well.
I went through a phase at the end of the 90's where I was really into Hardcore and Trance but I don't really bother that much with it these days athough I still enjoy it occasionally to relax.

Now I mostly listen to MTV2 type music although I'm quite happy with anything that isn't gangster rap or kiddy pop, although I do listen to some. I tend to buy CD's if I like a song/s rather than for the artists so I have a broad range of stuff.

Once I've liked something I always do although I might not be as fanatical about it as time goes by.

Man of Honour
Phoenix211 said:
You stole my life!

Thats actually the exact same description for me. Except I havn't stopped loving muse and I don't like radiohead.

Not trying to be patronising at all, but how old are you, out of curiosity? Would be cool if you were my age, (18/20) and interesting!

I only recently gave radiohead a spin, perhaps a year ago, when I picked up OK computer, not thinking that I'd like it. Proberly one of the most solid albums ever, once you get over the fact its a lot more sedate than Origin of Symmetry its certaintly a lot better.

Pick it up cheap in a charity shop (like me!) and see what you think :)

Soldato
Phoenix211 said:
You stole my life!
Without wanting to seem derogatory, that's a fairly cliched musical progression probably experienced by about half of people who are now in late teens/early 20s

I was pretty much the same, but without the nu-metal carp (though I just replaced it with grunge :o )

Man of Honour
I have grown up and broadened my musical horizons somewhat.

There is now no genre of music I can't say I can't listen to music from (except metal, but thats not music ;)). Opera, classical, hardcore dance, grunge, garage, house, old skool, indie, rock, pop, swing...

Some years back I'd have discounted them purely on genre. I'm grown past that now :)

Suspended
1991: 8-11 Sixties pop - The Beatles, Kinks etc. Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Gene Pitney.

1994: 11-13 Hip hop - Luniz, Warren G, Grandmaster Flash. Nineties pop - The Spice Girls, Louise, Babylon Zoo.

1996: 13-14 'Dance' music - Prodigy et al, and some trance. Moby?

1997: 14-15 Pink Floyd, The Who, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin... the 'classics'.

1998: 15-17 Radiohead, Blur, Muse, Goldfrapp, Portishead et al.

2000: 17-18 Doves, Grandaddy, Mercury Rev, The Beta Band, Biffy Clyro, Gomez, Super Furry Animals.

2001: 18-19 Post-rock. GY!BE, Silver Mt Zion etc. NME fad bands - The Strokes, The Libertines etc.

2002: 19-20 'American indie'. Modest Mouse, Pavement, Sebadoh, Built To Spill, Sleater-Kinney. Emo and hardcore - Rites of Spring, Embrace, Fugazi, Converge, LLBNF, Envy.

2003: 20-22 Independent hip hop, electronic, jazz, singer-songwriter - a big flaming conflagration consisting of everything I've listened to ever, and some more on top. Particular love for Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.

I was just interested to see if I could construct a kind of musical progression of my life. I've missed out absolutely bucketloads of stuff, though. It's harder than I thought it would be. Interesting to see that I also followed the route which took me via Muse, Radiohead et al! I missed out the crappy nu metal stage though. Thankfully.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine was very similar to yours but with a lot less Pink Floyd, a bit more Led Zep and Genesis and a lot more Michael Jackson.

Then add in Oasis, Cast, Stone Roses, etc and take out the dirty indie stuff :p

Permabanned
I've always listened to a mix of Jazz, Blues, Hiphop, Pop, Rap, Electronica, Metal, Rock and so on.

I still do.

Actually, I listen to more pop music than I used to...Because I have Freeview. And TMF is the greatest music channel of all time.

I have no pretentions about my taste in music but I admit that there are a few 'golden years' - '93/4, '96, '98, 2000 stick out in particular for various reasons.

Highlight? Getting shot of Cobain (excuse the pun).

*n

Associate
Nitefly said:
Not trying to be patronising at all, but how old are you, out of curiosity? Would be cool if you were my age, (18/20) and interesting!

I only recently gave radiohead a spin, perhaps a year ago, when I picked up OK computer, not thinking that I'd like it. Proberly one of the most solid albums ever, once you get over the fact its a lot more sedate than Origin of Symmetry its certaintly a lot better.

Pick it up cheap in a charity shop (like me!) and see what you think :)

yeah turned 20 in feb

Back
Top Bottom