Hayfever - Thread

Soldato
I haven't suffered this badly for probably over a decade :( I guess everything has aligned to ensure maximum pollen everywhere. Our house is retaining the heat something wicked so we're having to have the windows open all night and it's been killer :(

In the work office now having taken both cetirizine and loratadine and I'm still suffering.
Last year Fexofenadine really changed it for me, helped massively. This year I've been taking either loratidine or cetrizine with them and I'm still suffering horribly :/

Associate
I've been carrying on with Beconase 8 in 1 nose spray and some Boots anti allergy eye spray. My symptoms have been like 75% better than previous years which is a HUGE difference. Not been taking any anti-histamines for the first year in a long time.

Soldato
I've been carrying on with Beconase 8 in 1 nose spray and some Boots anti allergy eye spray. My symptoms have been like 75% better than previous years which is a HUGE difference. Not been taking any anti-histamines for the first year in a long time.
Beconase is the only thing that has worked for me too.

Only got some dry eye spray at the moment on top of that but it seems to be doing the trick.

Soldato
Proper suffering it with it the last 5+ days, when at home I feel it more with a runny nose and sneezing.
When I'm out and about doing like shopping or even running I don't get hayfever symptoms, so its like when i'm busy I dont feel it.

I've changed HF tablet to some kirkland version, which I just picked up to try when over at Costco yesterday. The tesco one I was using didn't seem like it was doing anything.

I had an old Airblue filter sitting at home ready to sell but I just put it in my home office and switched it on, seems like its doing something better than before. Otherwise I would be struggling to concentrate on the screen with my nose constantly dripping.

Sorry to hear those who are suffering this year quite badly. It never affected me last year, this year has been on another level!

Soldato
just wanted to update, i bought an air purifier, whilst i thought my air quality was good this has changed my life

before (with windows open or not)
sneezing constantly (good 10 or times without stopping)
itchy eyes
aches and pains (not sure why?)
itchy throat
headaches
noise streaming with water
had to take 2 tablets+ a day of hayfever tablets

after (2 days worth of testing) with windows open & closed
sneezed twice, both times as i opened a window
itchy eyes has reduced, not perfect but i think its left overs from weeks of pain
aches & pain gone
itchy throat gone 90% of the time
headache gone
noise streaming gone
1 tablet has been enough

i did look at the filter, out of curiosity whilst it looked fairly clean you could see a fair of particles trapped in filter 1 & my sneezing fit started so put right back in the unit & ran away :D

i got a dark black core 300 from leviot which is on deal atm from a major online store for sub 100 & its soley worth it.
Bought the 400 variant of the one you got.

Comes tomorrow

Soldato
Bought the 400 variant of the one you got.

Comes tomorrow
hope it goes well for you, i went with with 300 as my flat isnt to big right now, just word of caution heard that the "Auto" air checker on smart units is pretty pants & either does not come on At correct levels of drop down at correct levels... so you may want to compare auto to your own defined settings
mines not smart but has timers. which work for me. & night mode is fantastic its like white noise

Soldato
hope it goes well for you, i went with with 300 as my flat isnt to big right now, just word of caution heard that the "Auto" air checker on smart units is pretty pants & either does not come on At correct levels of drop down at correct levels... so you may want to compare auto to your own defined settings
mines not smart but has timers. which work for me. & night mode is fantastic its like white noise
So far so good. The readings in it right now is 002 lol pretty low meaning good air quality already

Soldato
Did you ever fix it showing the correct readings or do you have another device for that?
My version the 300 doesn’t have any of the “smart” features. I don’t like installing apps on my phone so I have to went with the dumb version

I use it as follows
Soon as I wake up I close all the doors to the rooms I don’t use, ensure their windows are shut put the air purfier in the room I use most
it goes on for 2 hours timer which should cover our entire front room and halllway and then some

Whilst on for first hour I open windows in the main room, (have to it’s like a green house) then close them

This then gives it and hour to fully cleanse the room

I then repeat that for bed time
It gets moved to bedroom2 hours before bed it gets locked in on a 2 hour timer, when I go in their next it’s purified

If I then struggle in the night I put night mode on but that is rare

to add to this if you keep the air purifier near your pc you get less dust in the pc :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a better night’s sleep last night. Must be because I kept the air purifier on all day. As changed bedding and dusted afterwards.

Asthma is still a big problem
nice one, one thing ive noticed, is hoovering more often really helps with both
i got a feeling when you get heavy dust on the floor the pollen clings to it.

used to hoover once a week, now i do a quick run every few days

Soldato
My version the 300 doesn’t have any of the “smart” features. I don’t like installing apps on my phone so I have to went with the dumb version

I use it as follows
Soon as I wake up I close all the doors to the rooms I don’t use, ensure their windows are shut put the air purfier in the room I use most
it goes on for 2 hours timer which should cover our entire front room and halllway and then some

Whilst on for first hour I open windows in the main room, (have to it’s like a green house) then close them

This then gives it and hour to fully cleanse the room

I then repeat that for bed time
It gets moved to bedroom2 hours before bed it gets locked in on a 2 hour timer, when I go in their next it’s purified

If I then struggle in the night I put night mode on but that is rare

to add to this if you keep the air purifier near your pc you get less dust in the pc :cry:
Nice.

What settings do you have yours on? I've tried it on sleep mode and level 1 setting so far

Soldato
Nice.

What settings do you have yours on? I've tried it on sleep mode and level 1 setting so far
Ah sure, yeh to add to this
if im working from home & i do the 2 hour setup i put it on full blast in the middle of the front room. on an extension on full blast, Then go for a shower, by time im back i then put it on 2 for the rest of the 2 hours.
they say on full blast it can cover 40m2 in 20 minutes so thats easily my entire front room covered while im in the shower & changing then rest of the time is just clearing up excess from windows

I would also recommend that you put as close to the middle of the room as possible (on all sides) it really does make it more effective & stops it resucking in the same air, tested tyhis with a smoke machine :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a better night’s sleep last night. Must be because I kept the air purifier on all day. As changed bedding and dusted afterwards.

Asthma is still a big problem
I find anti-histamines work really well before bed, 1 tablet, taken 1 hour before sleep. I typically take 2 a day, which isn't recommended but it keeps everything at bay.

You're right to clean your sheets and pillows regularly, especially if you are circulating air and possibly have windows open.

I only get asthmatic symptoms due to dust and hayfever. I remember one year in winter when I moved a bed and mattress, and the dust that kicked up meant I felt really ill for 3 days. Maybe I should hoover more under the bed :D

Associate
I’ve had ongoing nasal issues for awhile now (years) but never really put it down to anything. Been taking Sudafed spray as it’s the only thing that’s ever managed to unblock my nose. But today… today was it. I ended up getting an emergency appointment at the GP and got prescribed 180mg Fexofenadine and Dymista, took the spray (oh god the taste) did nothing. Took the Fexofenadine, nothing, Sudafed, nada.. absolutely nothing is shifting my nose today. Its been blocked all damn day.. I’ve tried hot towels everything and it just won’t budge.. I’m not one to frequent Urgent care but if this doesn’t change I’m considering it as it’s seriously affecting my breathing ability.

Soldato
Think I have found the source with my HF. On the corner of my home, there’s a house where the lawn hasn’t been mowed this year. All sorts of weeds - with/without flowers are growing. The corner is the room where I use as a study and is the room I suffer the most.

Can’t go round to them and ask them to mow their lawn. The previous owners kept the garden tidy.

It took about two years for the current owners to remove their rusting ironing board, broken suitcases and other things.

Soldato
I find anti-histamines work really well before bed, 1 tablet, taken 1 hour before sleep. I typically take 2 a day, which isn't recommended but it keeps everything at bay.

You're right to clean your sheets and pillows regularly, especially if you are circulating air and possibly have windows open.

I only get asthmatic symptoms due to dust and hayfever. I remember one year in winter when I moved a bed and mattress, and the dust that kicked up meant I felt really ill for 3 days. Maybe I should hoover more under the bed :D
Do you use it in your bedroom while asleep?

Soldato

Since putting the air purifier on max for an hour or so after changing the bedding, it has helped.

Also don’t dry bedding outside as pollen clings onto

Back
Top Bottom