Head Bans St George

Man of Honour
England flags and stickers have been banned from a city school because the headteacher claims they are linked to the BNP. Teachers and students at Birches Head High School have been told not to display the St George's cross in the countdown to the World Cup.

The move has been criticised by union officials and angered teachers who say it is their right to show their patriotism ahead of the World Cup.

A statement in the school's weekly bulletin from headteacher Karen Healy said: "We agreed that we will not let students wear flags as these are used by the British National Party.

"Therefore, can we not have flags on our cars if they are on school premises during the World Cup as it could be difficult when children bring flags into school."

A member of staff, who did not wish to be named, said staff at the school had not been consulted about the policy.

He said: "It is a ridiculous decision. For somebody to tell me that I am not allowed to display my national flag because it may be seen as racist is absolutely disgusting.

"A lot of the kids are not aware of this but we have had some asking us why they can't wear badges or stickers."

Janet Riley, of Abbey Hulton, whose son Shaun attends the school, said: "I think students should be allowed to display badges on their bags and coats and I think teachers should be allowed to have flags on their cars and support their team like everyone else."

A spokesman for the NASUWT teaching union said advice should have been given to teachers rather than imposing a ban.

He said: "While we are sensitive to the issue of the BNP we simply would have preferred the headteacher to offer some advice to teachers rather than issue a ban."

Ms Healy said: "Our policy is no badges in school because we give out badges for awards.

"We can't stop staff displaying flags on their cars ahead of the football tournament. We would rather they didn't but they are adults.

"We would rather that people did not wear badges of any kind whether they are Pakistani, Nigerian or Scottish.

"We can't be associated with any political party."

Paul Breeze, councillor for Birches Head and Northwood and governor at the school, said: "The headteacher should be given support.

"The school is in special measures and doing really well and she is doing a great job."

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...e=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch#views

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I know theres been a link to a BBC article but local legend as it that there has been no retraction up to yet. My old man lives 200 yards from the school and he reckons parents were turning up in England football shirts this morning and he he saw Pakistani parents wearing them in support (he thinks they were Pakistanis). There is nothing on The Sentinel website about her retraction and nothing in our Sentinel apart from a couple of letters having a go at her.
These white lefties should ask the local minority communities if its OK but we all know what the answer would be. Its another case of a white person knowing whats best for blacks and they are more the enemy than the BNP will ever be.
Birches Head (where the school is) is about 4 miles in one direction from me and is mainly a white area. Normacot is 2 miles the other way and already the Pakistani community are flying their England flags.

Man of Honour
OP
MNuTz said:
"doesnt he look like Shabaz from big brother?"

The teacher took offence to this and had the lad banned from school for 2 days for making a racists remark. Ive seen this teacher, he is white and does indeed look like him.

And what exactly is racist about that remark?
If it was my lad I would have been straight up the school.
Seems to me he was offended by being compared to a Pakistani puff (which was the remark on BB).

Back
Top Bottom