Head Tracking on a budget?

Soldato
Have just set up my Logitech G29 again and would like some headtracking.

I don't want to spend too much in-case I don't stick at it etc.

Any tried and tested recommendations?

FWIW: I don't have a webcam - if one would be needed..?

Last edited:
Associate
Saying that I just purchased mine for £99.99 from Zavvi as it was the cheapest around and it seems that the SteelSeries uses the same Tobii Eyex technology and software. I was keeping an eye on Tobii but was only available from US which would make the total cost around £200.

If you don't get it by then I shall let you know how it is, I am a glasses users too so we'll see if it is funny about tracking.

My main concern is the actual available games that support this feature, would be nice to see a list somewhere, feel free to share if you know:)

Associate
I received the eye tracker today, I am quite impressed however it needs a specific angle which means that if your monitor is curved it will not work, which is in my case and I used 1 sticky pad provided, you get 2.

I will have to get some blue tack and see if I can sort it out by using that.

Associate
So how does the Ed Tracker work? The Tobii is double the price but you get proper stuff, only thing for me is that it doesn't work on all games, very few that support this feature.

You need a separate software that costs around £40 to make it work on any game.

I been away over the weekend so not tried mine. Had a quick play on Division and it does seem to work pretty well.

Associate
After further testing it is an interesting concept however not many games support this feature and you really need the software companies to add it to their games or have a separate configuration management software that can handle each game so you can set up macros and what not.

At the moment for me in other games it just jumps the mouse where you look, might be a bit funny but in some games it helps as there is less travel to move the mouse to a specific point.

The specific software is called Project Iris and costs e39 which is slightly less in £. They do have a trial download which I will try and see how it works.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is ideally what I was looking at.. Something under the £40 budget as a starter to see if it interests me.

LINK

I'm guessing I'd just need a webcam and the appropriate software/drivers to get this going?

Associate
So how does it actually work? In games does it replace the camera movement? How do you configure it? You turn the head?

The Tobii Eyex works pretty well since you look at a flat screen, in my opinion hear movement would be useless as you would have to turn your head to look left at which point you won't see the screen? Judging from the video posting that is what it does.

Yesterday I decided to give the Sentry another go and boy was I impressed. Used it on Euro Truck Simulator 2, the driving became completely natural, as if I was in the vehicle, I looked at the mirror and the camera moved and focused on the mirror so I could see behind me, I enter a bend and I focus on it looking at the cut off point and the camera looks there. I must make a video to show it in action.

What video recording software did you guys use?

Back
Top Bottom