Headlights wont turn off!

Associate
Got a bit of a strange one in my mums 53 plate fiesta.

She called me out to her today as she had a flat battery after going shopping. True enough it was completely flat!, but when i jumped it (and reset the alarm etc) i noticed that the headlights were on (no tail lights), even though the swith in the cab was off!

Got it home and started trying to diagnose the problem.

Lights are on no matter where the switch is (off / sidelights / full headlights)
Removing the switch and taking the multi-plug off the back of it - lights stay on.
Swapping relay - lights stay on.

Any ideas -= the internet doesn't throw anything up and ringing ford is a waste of time as they want you to book the car in (if i could afford it i would!)

Help me obi-wan (s), you're my only hope! :D

Permabanned
hmm just follow as much as the wire you can see, look for 'not normal'. try to find the earth points and check them.

has it got rearview mirror dimmer?

take the fuses out too, see if it still goes without them or not.

Permabanned
well its not going to be your answer, but with wiring diagram/help from ford people it should narrow down where the fault lies if it is that.

I ripped a scorpio apart once, carefully (bar the carpets whoops), and the wiring is just mental. Yours won't be as bad, but I still think it will have some odd linkages around the loom/car.

Associate
Got a bit of a strange one in my mums 53 plate fiesta.

She called me out to her today as she had a flat battery after going shopping. True enough it was completely flat!, but when i jumped it (and reset the alarm etc) i noticed that the headlights were on (no tail lights), even though the swith in the cab was off!

Got it home and started trying to diagnose the problem.

Lights are on no matter where the switch is (off / sidelights / full headlights)
Removing the switch and taking the multi-plug off the back of it - lights stay on.
Swapping relay - lights stay on.

Any ideas -= the internet doesn't throw anything up and ringing ford is a waste of time as they want you to book the car in (if i could afford it i would!)

Help me obi-wan (s), you're my only hope! :D
hi Chillimonster. i have got the exact problem you outlined above... switch removed, relays swapped, fuses removed etc, front lights only stay on!! they go off only when the dipped beam relay is removed. So Chillimonster did you find the reason and solution? your help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom