Headphone AMP/DAC Combo

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've been looking over a numerous reviews over the past month in order to buy a amp/DAC combo as I am going to be picking up a pair of HD650 or HD700 at the end of the month and as well to replace the on-board sound from my PC.

I've been looking at the following:

Arcam ir-DAC II
Audioengine D1
Objective 2 amp/dac combo

At the moment, the Arcam seem to be my preferred choice at the moment but it doesn't come with a volume adjustment dial and it uses the 3.5 headphone jack but it does come with the DSS Sabre DAC

Does any one have any experience with these or have any other recommendations to look into?

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the detailed reply that's really helpful. I don't really have a budget in mind to be honest but at the same time, I wouldn't spend more then twice the headphones value on amp/dacs. So I'd say 500/600 would be the roof for this.

I'd love the Oppo HD1 but fear it's it's not worth it for these headphones.

I have also been reading a lot of people suggest the same thing with the headphones well preferring the 650's over the 700's due to the brightness of them (700)

Edit:

So it seems the following seems to be well paired with the HD650, so ill do a bit more research on these but I think its a done deal.

Schiit Vali 2
Schiit MODI MULTIBIT

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I think I’ll start off with the above two and see how I get on and then the beauty of separates is I can upgrade over time.

From what I have been reading the Modi Multibit comes very close to the Bifrost as it now runs the same mulitpoint DAC rather than the single point on the Modi2 and Modi2 Uber. However, thats only from what I have been reading id like to demo them ideally first but most of the reviews do speak very highly of them.

I also like the fact I can use the pre-amp output to connect it to my external amp when not using the headphone as that was another feature I was looking for.

Ill post some pictures once its all arrived. :D

Thanks once again.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
How does the DAC on the Jotunheim compare to the Modi Multibit one?

Edit: After reading about it the DAC add-on for the Jotunheim is not a multibit DAC so in theory the Modi Multibit would be the better DAC.

I've also emailed Schitt EU to see about the DAC add-on for the Jotunheim availability.

WOW that was a quick reply: "We hope to have stock within the next two weeks the option is not showing as we are out of stock."

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Well these arrived today....

IMG_1397_zpsoqycbmj3.jpg

Still looking at the DAC / AMP Combo's at the moment.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I've been doing a lot more research via the various audio forums and you tube reviews and ended up with and few options and a bit more confused.

These are my current options I am looking to order.

1. Modi 2 MB + Vali 2
2. Modi 2 MB + Lyr 2 (This gives a option to update to the Bifrost MB at later date)
3. Modi 2 Multibit + Vallhalla 2 (This gives a option to update to the Bifrost MB at later date)
4. Oppo HA-1

The my current order of preference it's:

2 > 3 > 1 > 4

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I like the idea of the Modi MB as its quite small and its possible I can put it under my desk.

It's the amp, where I am getting myself a little confused. Here are my current thoughts:

1. Vahalla 2 seems to be very highly praised with the HD650's but in its stock configuration it looks to be a very neutral tube amp. However, it does allow for tube rolling

2. Lyr 2 seems to be a half-way house option, as it gives you options to ether make it a SS desktop amp or Tube amp. That's my main reason for it being top on my list (I guess it’s the options which I find appealing).

3. Oppo is a lovely unit but reading about it maybe a little bright for my tastes but you can never know without a demo. However, the unit is a little large for a desktop amp.

4. Vali 2 very much the same as the Valhalla in many respects a little less open in its reproduction than the Valhalla.

However, there is also the Jotunheim to add to the mix as well.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the detailed reply and it pretty much echo's what I have been reading about on Head-Fi. The Modi 2 MB is defiantly on the cards, as that will replace my on-board sound card.

Its finding the right amp which is proving to be difficult or ive overloaded myself with information.

Back
Top Bottom