Headphone help please.

Soldato
I currently have my eyes on beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250ohms headphones but don't know what else I will need along with them. They will primarily be used for gaming and music on my PC, plus using on guitar multi effect pedals such as the line 6 pod 500X. But mostly for at my PC gaming/youtube/music. Currently using a soundblaster ZXR soundcard which seems pretty decent. Would I plug into that or need something else for best quality. Thanks I'm a bit clueless at all this.

Thanks for that, yes the sound card has very good audio it comes with an accessible audio control module, that it's on desk and a DB pro daughter board that I don't really know what it does. But I would be willing to buy a Dac/Amp too. Nothing too crazy I here creative do one of these too?

I used to own the ZxR years ago. I quickly bought it one day to solve a problem with the ASUS Phoebus (interference) and was blown away by the improvement compared to that card. If I remember correctly the daughter board adds extra features, inputs and capabilities for recording. I didn't bother with it for gaming, music or films. I did change it for a Sound Blaster X7 as I was becoming much more of a multi-platform gamer (i.e. not just a PC). It is still a capable soundcard.

I think whether need a new soundcard or external DAC/AMP would depend on what you're upgrading for; physical controls, lots of inputs, newer software, features etc. Creative have all their external soundcards like the: GC7, X5, X4 and G6 which will all give you newer software and extra features. Improvement in audio quality I'm not sure, but certainly you're get newer software and features to use. For example; SXFi 3D audio. I suppose the answer whether you need to stay with Creative or not depends on whether you use their software/features: i.e. Virtual Surround, mic input etc.

However with a £100-200+ external stereo DAC/AMP, such as a Fiio K11/K5 Pro/K7, iFi Zen DAC, Topping DX3+ etc. you are likely to get a bigger improvement in audio quality, particularly with music listening. Also you don't have to worry about software drivers and is much more 'plug and play'. However you'll lose the 'gaming' software and features. Some of this can be simulated with software; like Windows Sonic/Dolby Atmos for Headphones/DTS:X for headphones on Windows 11 (3D audio for games that support it), or APO (EQ etc.). But whether you want that or not is going to depend on what you prefer.
Some excellent advice thank you for that I do apreciate it. As you rightly say the ZXR is a good card so i may hold onto it for a while longer. I just want comfortable good quality headphones that dont hurt my ears after a while of use. Ive heard good things about the DT990 Pros but was unsure if i really needed an Dac/Amp as well. Im not really too bothered about the software side of things as the most i do is change the odd equaliser settings, so no worries there. The only other thing i think id need an Dac/Amp for is a few of my guitar amplifiers as a few of the practice ones i use are a bit weak on headphones so maybes that, however i'll take a look at some of the ones you mentioned.

"It took all of a few seconds to want to rip the DT 990 off my head as I always start with female vocals and this headphone shred the vocals to pieces. And proceeded to drill into your head with those shards!"
Ill have a look thanks.

Also looking at Wireless so narrowed it down to 2 Qinux Rhitmo or Sennheiser Momentum 4. Only adding the Quinux purely because of the google review it came out top on bestbuyersguide.org

Back
Top Bottom