Heated Handle Grips Yes or No

Soldato
Used them on a bike i had to do my CBT on last year and thought they were pretty good. Are they worth getting for my Hornet or are they a little gay:p

Soldato
if you're not a fair weather biker then get them as there's nothing worse and it's dangerous when you can't move your fingers enough to grab the brake hard etc.

If you're a FWB then yes... you're gay! :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
If I got another bike, heated grips would be on without a doubt! It was miserable without them. I did silly miles in the cold through 2 winters and did a lot of 2am rides. I was literally in pain when I get home and wasted hours trying to warm them up. I had 3 layers of thermal gloves and some leather ones but they couldn't keep the cold out.

Associate
I have some Daytona hot grips on my Bandit 1250 and they make a huge difference when the temperature drops. Riding in the cold goes from being a chore to enjoyable again.

I was cautious at first as I thought they might not react as smoothly or have more slack in them but they feel perfect, just like the original throttle. They have also damped out a tiny bit of vibration from my fingers (not that the Bandit had much to start with).

Soldato
If you ride all year round, in all weathers, then hell yes, get them. I have them fitted to my bike during the winter months. I don't care if my GSX-R is seen with heated grips. If I'm riding for hours, doing hundreds of miles, in close to freezing temperatures, there is nothing worse than hands that literally can't do anything, no brake, no clutch, no throttle etc.

Associate
Wouldn't be without them, myself, particularly as the fairing isn't quite wide enough to keep my hands out of the airflow. They were pretty much redundant on my old K75 though.

Associate
Yes, dead easy to fit too, just take the live feed from the sidelights (if you take it direct from the battery then you risk leaving the grips on accidentally when the ignition's off!). The current draw is only about 2 amps, so it won't blow the bulbs/fuse or cause the wiring to burn out.

Of course, you can be a flash git like me & wire up a relay that switches on/off with the ignition. I'd only go to that bother if it's a newish bike tbh.

guide: http://www.xrv.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Fitting_heated_grips

Last edited:
Associate
Just put some on my blade today - Commute 65 miles a day, all year. Numb hands is not nice! These are the Oxford Sport version, not sure if they're any different other than cosmetically. They don't look too gay!

Akrapovic Carbon pipe arriving later this week!

Soldato
Looovlay looking blade that there.

Know two guys with that model. One being a George white one the other a repsol.

Thats the style I sat on and was told I look stupid on it. But im 6'2" and was 19 stone at the time so probably didnt help lol

Associate
Just be careful with heated grips and gore-tex gloves. Excessive heat causes the membrane to reverse and your gloves start to absorb water.

If I was on the bike all year round I'd get heated grips without hesitation, as it is I stop when the clocks change, wimpy I know :p

Soldato
Are there any available with a more discrete control switch? I don't really like the idea of having a big black box hanging from the handlebars

My dad's older Oxford grips have a control box that lives on the fairing. The flat part on the top of the fairing, if that makes any sense at all. It's just stuck on.

Here, but the other side:

20101014-e2k3n365ft11cdhamhw8dckfxh.jpg

It doesn't stand out at all, but it's reachable. They're the older style with a rotary control on a little black box.

Back
Top Bottom