Heating an old house-How would you do it?

Soldato
Consider the hypothetical scenario.

The house is old (Pre-war/1950's/whatever) and constitutes a "Fixer-Upper" in need of full renovation.

There is currently no central heating (Previous owners used either open fires, Gas fires, or electric heaters)

Would you install conventional gas fired wet central heating?

Or would you go down a different route

eg, Some sort of air sourced heat pump system, retaining the solid fuel but with more efficient modern stoves, Night storage heaters, Something else

And/or any combination of the above.

Soldato
In my experience storage heaters are horrid, I feel even a 1kw portable heater is more efficient.

One thing I learned is for sure any air leaks need sorting first, so things that leak in cold drafts etc.

Then after that it depends if you want to install central heating if no, then I would use electric heaters or gas fires.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If the house can get mains gas, then jump on it and install a wet heating system and a megaflo style pressurised tank. People with mains gas dont realise how good they have it :p

Permabanned
I would guess it depends on your budget.

Gas central would be best but would come at quite a cost. Forget about night storage heaters they are rubbish, I refuse to use ours so instead installed an air source heat pump for the front room and just use a electric heater in our bedroom.

Soldato
Insulate, but within reason. These houses need to breath in order to let the moist, used air out. If you insulate them like crazy and hinder their ability to breath, you may see mould problems - particularly on the outside walls, where the moisture is trying to escape, but stuff like poor wallpapering or wall insulation can stop it.

Here is a link to Peter Ward on Youtube - his videos will give you an idea of what I mean.

Soldato
Insulate, but within reason. These houses need to breath in order to let the moist, used air out. If you insulate them like crazy and hinder their ability to breath, you may see mould problems - particularly on the outside walls, where the moisture is trying to escape, but stuff like poor wallpapering or wall insulation can stop it.

Here is a link to Peter Ward on Youtube - his videos will give you an idea of what I mean.

Thats why you open windows to have air circulation.

You open the windows every so often in winter to circulate air, perhaps keep them open all the time in summer.

Soldato
Thats why you open windows to have air circulation.

You open the windows every so often in winter to circulate air, perhaps keep them open all the time in summer.
You would need them open every day in winter which is kind of defeating the purpose of draft proofing and insulating. Old houses need to breathe it is as simple as that!

Soldato
I wouldn’t consider the open fires going forward, if you live in a town you soon won’t be able to use them anyway because of the air pollution. Likewise standard electric heating is rubbish and expensive.

Insulation is key if you want to keep the bills low once you have renovated. As others have said you would need to ensure it is properly considered and systems in place to deal with the moisture like heat recovery ventilation.

Heat pumps systems (preferably ground source) are the future and probally the most environmentally friendly solution but you really need to insulate well for them to be effective. New builds past 2025 will not be connected to the gas mains so will be pretty much using these. They can also do cooling in the summer which is nice and I think they deal with moisture but don’t quote me on that. Will have a higher upfront cost but may work out lower in the long run, all depends on how the price of gas and electric goes. Unlike gas you do have the ability to make your own electricity via solar if you can take the upfront cost.

As someone said above the gas un-vented central heating with a pressurised megaflow cylinder are the best gas can offer. I have one and it has pretty much ruined taking a shower anywhere that doesn’t have a pressurised cylinder. This is an attractive solution if you have gas available.

Caporegime
The answer to the question depends on a whole load of considerations and factors that we don't have information about.

For example, what's the objective? Do up cheap and sell asap, or create a long-term proposition for modern living? Is there a budget? Will the insulation be brought up to scratch? Will the property have (or does it already have) solar panels? Where exactly is this property?

As someone said above the gas un-vented central heating with a pressurised megaflow cylinder are the best gas can offer.

Just to mention you don't need gas with an unvented cylinder. What you do need is sufficient water pressure and flow for a good shower, something that's far from guaranteed in an old doer upper.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
If no cavity walls.

Windows
External doors (replace)
Insulate loft

Take all walls back to bare walls and use thermal plasterboard.

Gas central heating
Laminate or carpet with underalay

Sorted.

Caporegime
Do you have access to free or cheap wood - then a stove

Do you have access to solar panels - then a dyson heating fan during the day for main room get a ground source heat pump for the rest of the house.

If not then gas. But I would also insulate as much as possible and install vents where suitable to get rid of condensation the main culprits being bathrooms and kitchens. If you leave doors open internally then that will help condensation move around and out. We dry all our clothes inside the house on radiators and never had issues with condensation or damp.

Soldato
Soldato
You would need them open every day in winter which is kind of defeating the purpose of draft proofing and insulating. Old houses need to breathe it is as simple as that!

I have aweful draft here. But not in every room.

So basically I can open a window clean the air, shut it again, reheat the room, once its heated the heat will stay quite well.
In a room with bad drafts, you have to keep the heating persistently on to maintain temperature, the cost will be way more.

You dont need to have a window consistently open to have clean air at all. Open every day? maybe but it would only be long enough to freshen up the air.

Whilst a draft doesnt clean the air, you still need to open windows anyway to circulate the air to clean it out. The only affect it has is to make it much harder to heat your house up and ultimately more expensive.

Also yeah I agree gas central heating is the way to go but for some reason the OP doesnt want to do that (I guess due to upfront cost?).

Failing that gas fires would be probably the best option, but I think portable heaters are better than storage heaters.

Soldato
I have aweful draft here. But not in every room.

So basically I can open a window clean the air, shut it again, reheat the room, once its heated the heat will stay quite well.
In a room with bad drafts, you have to keep the heating persistently on to maintain temperature, the cost will be way more.

You dont need to have a window consistently open to have clean air at all. Open every day? maybe but it would only be long enough to freshen up the air.

Whilst a draft doesnt clean the air, you still need to open windows anyway to circulate the air to clean it out. The only affect it has is to make it much harder to heat your house up and ultimately more expensive.

Also yeah I agree gas central heating is the way to go but for some reason the OP doesnt want to do that (I guess due to upfront cost?).

Failing that gas fires would be probably the best option, but I think portable heaters are better than storage heaters.
How does a draft not clean the air? It is fresh air being drawn in from outside? If you have a gas fire, open fire or log burner a draft is essential for exactly that reason and sealing up and heating old houses is a well documented cause of damp. I’m not advocating a mega draft house but an old home particularly one with solid walls needs to breath.

Back
Top Bottom