Heatsink mounted then re-mounted: would you re-apply thermal paste?

Associate
I mounted a brand new Noctua nh-u12a (which arrived with some bent blades :rolleyes:) then realised I had put it the wrong way (it wasn't leaving much clearance for the ram) so I removed it, checked the thermal paste (no spill, spread evenly) and re-mounted it the right way.

It didn't feel wrong to re-mount it but I thought I'd get some advice before I proceed.

Yeah in those circumstances it would be absolutely fine.

Trying to mount a D15 and I hadn't aligned the cooler properly with the screws to tighten and ended up lifting the cooler up and then down to re-align and I had no issues.

As has been said already because it was that fresh there'd be no ill effects.

If it was me, the amount of thermal paste and time involved to reapply would be negligible so I would just redo the paste.

The purpose is to ensure full contact between the heatsink and the processor surface area for maximum thermal transfer.

There cannot be any air-gaps within the surface area otherwise thermal transfer for dissipation will be hindered which may cause your processor to overheat.

Without thoroughly cleaning both surfaces and reapplying fresh thermal paste properly risks introducing airgaps due to the paste already being thinned-out and thus cannot spread to fill in the gaps when it is compressed.

The major manufacturers expect fresh thermal paste to be applied every time their service-maintence-agreement/warranty-repair technicians reseat the heatsink/fan on a processor.

Of course this is a textbook answer and there is the possibility of getting away with cutting the corner however for me it is not worth taking the risk to save a few minutes work.

Back
Top Bottom