Height of i5 8400 stock cooler

Soldato
OP
A fan adapter for the C7 would be nice, but I'm struggling to find anywhere to buy them. Think I found a link to download the files for 3D printing, but I don't have a 3D printer (plus I guess you need a special material that would cope with the heat of being close to a heatsink).

I remember why I got the C7 now. there was a video on Youtube showing that you can mod a Wraith Spire cooler to use the C7's fan, which is what I ended up doing as the Wraith Stealth cooler was rubbish and the C7 didn't fit AM4 without an adapter and I think the kit I got contained some wrong parts.

Not even sure if the C7 fan will fit the C7 now.

This is the one annoyance I have with the case.

Associate
A fan adapter for the C7 would be nice, but I'm struggling to find anywhere to buy them. Think I found a link to download the files for 3D printing, but I don't have a 3D printer (plus I guess you need a special material that would cope with the heat of being close to a heatsink).

I remember why I got the C7 now. there was a video on Youtube showing that you can mod a Wraith Spire cooler to use the C7's fan, which is what I ended up doing as the Wraith Stealth cooler was rubbish and the C7 didn't fit AM4 without an adapter and I think the kit I got contained some wrong parts.

If you can get the file for 3D printing, you could get a quote from 3dhubs.com. It allows you to choose a material, checks for any issues and gives you a price. I had a new lid printed for a Streacom F1C Evo, that had a fan grill and mounting holes. Turn around time was about a week.

Permabanned
What you need is a real cooler and not the c7 crap.

Scythe Big Shuriken

i have the same cooler in a different rev of that case, in would think its the best for the case

Soldato

I think you could mount a 90mm on with zip-ties. I often use 2 zip-ties with one latch end to keep it from slipping through fins and fan and 2nd zip-tie latch end on fan side to hold in place. Then clip off excess for clean look. Hope that makes sense.

Something like NF-A9x14 PWM would be ideal, but not cheap at £16.99.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nf-a9x14-pwm-fan-92mm-fg-015-nc.html

C7 is only 32mm tall without fan, so maybe even a 25mm thick 90mm fan like a Arctic F9 PWM (90x25mm) for only £4.99.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-f9-pwm-case-fan-92mm-fg-028-ar.html

Scythe Big Shuriken is 58mm so it's height is same as case spec, but will it's 125x135mm footprint clear the RAM and GPU on GoogalyMoggaly's motherboard? I've ran into clearance problems with Thermalright AXP-100 with it's much smaller 105x119mm footprint. AXP-100 while smaller than Big Shuriken has same cooling and both are better than C7, but C7 is 4x 6mm heat pipes into 97x97mm, AXP-100 is 6x 6mm heatpipes into 105x119mm and Big Shuriken is 5x 6mm heatpipes into 125x135mm.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well it looks like I have some options, which is nice. None probably ideal and none as simple as I'd like, but there are some possibilities.

Now I just need to actually get a i5 8400 and motherboard (still need to decide on the motherboard). Wish I'd waited a few more weeks before getting my Ryzen 5 1400 as I could've got the 8400 then, someone even advised me to do it. But I was impatient and curious about Ryzen.

When I started looking the i5 8400 was around £170, now it's more like £190 or £200 if you go for an in stock version.

Back
Top Bottom