HEL Brake Line Kits

Associate
Over the fender lines are where a single line goes from the brake master cylinder to one caliper then another line comes off that and goes over the front mudguard to the second caliper.

The 2 full length "race" lines are a better option although you have to spend a couple of minutes extra ensuring your line route doesn't get tangled on full lock.

Not sure why they have listed 2 rear lines?

As far as benefits, very little on a new bike but as time goes by the rubber hoses will start to give a bit more and when that happens you lose feel at the lever and have a spongey feeling under hard braking.

A worthwhile upgrade if your going to be hammering the brakes hard repeatedly or if you just fancy the look of them. Day to day, maybe a slight change in the feel of the lever but no practical change.

Edit: PS I have been using a set of the HEL lines on my race bike, nice product and doing the job fine. I'd make the upgrade just for the hell of it at the price they cost.

Soldato
http://helperformance.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4530 is what you'll be looking at for your bike I think. I've got Goodridge myself.

As for performance, I found a MASSIVE difference replacing my rubber lines, but that said, my bike is a 2001 bike, registered in 2003, so mine have had time to deteriorate and stretch compared to your bike, so I doubt you'll notice as much of a difference, but you should at least notice a bit.

That said, I do need to check mine out, as I think one of the washers has gone on one of my front callipers, as it's started to feel a bit spongy all of a sudden heh.

Soldato
I can second Hel.

I used them as my originals were causing huge issues. I could bleed system after rebuilding master cyl and new piston seals and get pressure then a day later it would be full lever back again no pressure.

I cant say if there was a difference as I never tried but i have put plenty pressure on them. pluss they look nice LOL

Associate
Braided lines essentially remove any of the flex of the rubber hose so more of your grip on the lever is transferred to the caliper. They do make a difference and they're definitely worth investing in.

Soldato
used HELL before,just as good as Goodridge. Give a noticable increase in feel over standard rubber hoses. Doubt you would get a great deal more stopping power over your current set becasue the hoses are brand new and the rubber wouldnt have deteriated yet, but IMO its worth the upgrade just for the feel. plus they look nicer :D

Again, no idea why you would need 2 lines for the rear, I would ask then why they are needed???

Godfather
Godfather
OP
I normally do all my own bike work, but have always steered clear of brakes. Is changing the lines a big job? I guess it's the bleeding part I'm worried about. Any special tools required?

Soldato
I use this tool to bleed brakes
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/533338/Braking/Bleed-kits/Mityvac

And I would recomment HEL or Goodridge too, theres nothing in it, Braided lines look good and once youve changed them you wont ever have to do it again, I myself found I got better feel from the brakes when heavy braking, cant say I noticed any difference in just general braking.

(Sorry for swearing and getting banned :( I emailed FF too)

Soldato
Bleeding brakes is easy as Pie. once you do it you ask yourself why you were scared.

Braided line replacement is easy too. just make sure you dont get fluid on your paint!!

There is also a method involving a syringe that is supposed to be good.

From what i understand you put a small bit tube on the bleed nipple and then the syringe onto the end. Make sure the res is topped up with fluid open the bleed nipple and draw back on the syringe. I could be wrong here. but it is supposed to pull the air out and is easier than pumping it out with the lever.

Soldato
I normally do all my own bike work, but have always steered clear of brakes. Is changing the lines a big job? I guess it's the bleeding part I'm worried about. Any special tools required?

It's quite an easy job to be honest mate. I was really nervous about working on my brakes for the first time, which was just a simple bleed, not changing the hoses. Me being a cheep poor person at the time simply did mine with a rubber tube and small container to push the liquid in to. This is the kit I used.

After I knew how to do it the first time, every time since then it's been easy. Changing the hoses was no issue what so ever, was just the bleeding part I needed to have practice on lol.

Soldato

I also use this tool for the job, makes a total pain in the arse of a job a simple 10 min thing. It is quite pricey but considering your car, im sure you can afford it :p Failing that a £5 syringe kit off the bay will work fine, you just need something that will suck the fluid through the caliper.

Just be carefull with that brake fluid!!!!, seriously, towles everywhere and have a bucket of water handy in case you sprill a drop.

Soldato
Definitely as kidloco says about the towels, and keep it away from the car when your doing it :D

Main thing is to always make sure there is enough fluid in the reservoir, if it emptys then you have to start all over with a lot of air to bleed.

Associate
Not sure what gen 2 busa's are but gen 1 are over the fender type

Also yet again Spie not sure what gen2 are like but gen 1 are well known for being a right pig for bleeding

Soldato
Not sure what gen 2 busa's are but gen 1 are over the fender type

Also yet again Spie not sure what gen2 are like but gen 1 are well known for being a right pig for bleeding

Guy on the bike forum just cracked his calipers to rebuild. rebuilt them and couldn't get any pressure at all.

forgot to use paste on rebuild. did it again with paste and said he had a hell of a bother with bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom