Help building an AMD system

hi there, just require a bit of advice building an AMD system, I've had intel since Athlon 64 days,

Currently I have

Mobo: ROG STRIX X670E-A

Now ram is next, I thought I'd grab this,

This ram is on the compatibility list for this motherboard, but then a customer review says the following,

"DOES NOT RUN AT 6000MHZ ON AMD; Context: To run the ram at advertised speeds, you have to enable EXPO, otherwise you'll run at 4700mhz, NOT 6000mhz, if you enable EXPO, it'll cause random crashes, issues, and memtest will come back with errors, (As it requires 1.35v, and current AMD bios limitation is 1.3v) So to run the ram in expo, you'll need to run it at 5400mhz, as currently, there is no way for this ram to reach 6000mhz on Ryzen systems. According overclockers support, that is normal, and not sure if it was confusion or what, but it felt like they assumed enabling EXPO = Manual RAM OC. TLDR: ACTUAL SPECS OF THIS RAM IF NOT ENABLING EXPO 4700mhz base, and 5400mhz EXPO low voltage option (As the 6000mhz, no longer works) Performance loss is marginal, only around 3% - 9% so do with this information what you please."

Can someone recommend 32GB RAM that will work with my motherboard 100% with expo enabled?

I thought it was the SOC voltage that was capped @ 1.3 in most boards, not the DRAM voltage.

G.Skill memory is more widely recommended for AMD though, from what I've seen.

Edit: yeah, from what your motherboard BIOS update list

Sorry, not sure I understand, I've never really had to look into this stuff with intel before, what does this mean then, I'm going to struggle running memory on expo/xmp settings? all DDR5 chips say 1.35V but the motherboard is limited to 1.3v is that correct?

the ram at £120 for 6000c36 is quite expensive for non rgb version and C36 timings, but that might just be OCuk prices
if they haven't shipped it, I'd think of holding off, esp as you still have a psu to buy, so can bundle it in the same package

I got the following in the end for £116, fingers crossed it works ok, it says AMD EXPO and seemed specced while for the price,

Memory.png

Back
Top Bottom