Help! Can't get audio out of speaker

Associate
Hi guys

I got my partner a Sony PS-LX310BT turntable for Christmas last year and just recent got her a JBL 305p mkii speaker to upgrade the output quality.

I can't for the life of me get it to work however. The output on the turntable is RCA and I'm using an RCA to 1/4" adapter to plug it into the speaker. I'm connecting both the red and the white cable to the adapter and have tried both "line" and "phono" settings on the turntable. I had understood that the speaker was powered and so shouldn't need any extra kit.

What am I missing?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Chris

Hi guys

I got my partner a Sony PS-LX310BT turntable for Christmas last year and just recent got her a JBL 305p mkii speaker to upgrade the output quality.

I can't for the life of me get it to work however. The output on the turntable is RCA and I'm using an RCA to 1/4" adapter to plug it into the speaker. I'm connecting both the red and the white cable to the adapter and have tried both "line" and "phono" settings on the turntable. I had understood that the speaker was powered and so shouldn't need any extra kit.

What am I missing?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Chris

The speaker input is mono rather than stereo if that makes any difference? You’re right, it should work!

Does the speaker work with any other inputs that you’ve tried?

Is the output of the cartridge high enough to drive speakers without the need for an amp?

Are the cartridge leads correctly connected and not loose?

Thanks everyone

Nothing I've tried has worked - I have 1 speaker, the only output from the turntable is 2* RCA. I've tried using a 2* RCA - 1/4" adapter, as well as RCA - XLR to no avail. The turntable is set to line rather than phono. I just simply can't get it to work.

Thanks everyone

Nothing I've tried has worked - I have 1 speaker, the only output from the turntable is 2* RCA. I've tried using a 2* RCA - 1/4" adapter, as well as RCA - XLR to no avail. The turntable is set to line rather than phono. I just simply can't get it to work.
As others have said, you need to test the monitor(/speaker) with another source just to rule that out. And ideally you would test the turntable too if you can.

But you'll need a RCA to 2-pole 1/4" jack (pos/hot to pos/hot/jack tip; ground/cold to ground/cold/jack barrel) as it's an unbalanced signal from each RCA rather than balanced (where you have hot, hot-180-deg-out-phase, cold; same with XLR) - your JBL monitor won't do stereo-to-mono conversion.
If you had a pair of the JBL's, then left RCA would go to one monitor, right to the other etc.

Edit - you want something like this -
BOQLr8r.png

You don't want this -
N0E7AI2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom