Help! Cant install windows...

Associate
Hi,

Got a new pc, tried installing windows but it keeps crashing...

The cpu temp seems to be going high, but the fan is working... up to 70 degrees... and it is plugged in. :)

It keeps cutting out during part of the actual install, not just after a certain amount of time....

Now i seem to be gettting an error that comes up before the pc resets, but it comes up so fast i cant read it.

System:
160 IDE HDD
asus a8n-e
3800x2
1900xt
2gb geil value ram

help please!

Soldato
Have you tried re-seating the heatsink? Are you using thermal paste?

If i were you i'd try and get the temperature of the CPU down before trying to install windows.

Soldato
Yup. The A64 max operating temp is 65C for that processor IIRC and 70C is too high. It is probably going higher still. Once you get that down, try again but before doing so, make sure you memtest the RAM using a bootable floppy or CD from www.memtest.org - It requires 8 hours roughly without error to be sure of no RAM problems.

Associate
OP
It was just using the thermal pad on the stock heatsink.... Lifted it up and put it down but seemed to have no real difference... changed the hard drive and all seems ok, windows loaded and asus probe says all is sub 40 - but still keeping an eye on.

ta for the advice tho.

:)

Soldato
It's probably not a great idea to be using the thermal pad again after it's been picked up and put down again, they're only intended to be used once. Glad it's working, but if it were me I'd want to clean it up and put some thermal paste on there.

Soldato
Isopropyl Alcohol (Propan-2-ol) available from a chemist is best but I doubt you have that stuff lying about so try Acetone (found in nail polish remover). The thing about Acetone is that is can leave an oily residue. Neither of these will cost you more than a few pounds (£2 likely).

Back
Top Bottom