Help choosing a proper wireless adapter

Associate
Hello!
I'm in the process of building a new system. I realized that the cat5 network cable i used with my old configuration is from archaic ages, it's been built into the house around 2000. For the new one I'd like to use something better than that, but getting a better cable is not really an option - the old one would be needed to be extracted from the walls of the apartment, and a lot of walls, along at least 20 meters or so.
So I'm looking at wireless options for my internet connection. This part seems to be quite tricky, as my room is rather far away from the router (~30 feet, and 1-2 walls in the way) from which the signal comes, so I need to find a device with good range on it. Did a bit of reading and found a few pcie/usb devices that might solve the problem, but I'd like to see the opinions of those with more knowledge on the matter before committing. I use a TP-Link Archer C5 (AC 1200) as my router and source of wifi.
Cheaper options would be usb 3.0 wifi adapters.
Found two devices for this category:
Netis WF 2910 - my cheapest option, the size on the antennas seem to help with the range
Netgear AC 6210 - reviews shown it to have very good range, but also quite a few people stated it broke after about a year of use
I could also go with adapters with PCI-E connection. I've read i can get better stability on my connection, but the proximity of the computer case might give some problems. I found:
TP-Link Archer T6e - cheaper option of the two. Has good and bad reviews, bad mostly comes from bad Win10 support (no driver, you have to use those from win 8.1)
ASUS PCE-AC56 - this one is the most (almost too) expensive from the bunch. The ability to move the antennas seems like a nice feature.
So my questions regarding the above: Do you recommend either method (usb/pci-e) over the other? From the products mentioned, do you recommend either over the others, do you have experience with them? Do you think I'll get a faster connection than my old cables (100 megabits/sec) from the above mentioned range? Are there any similar products you'd recommend over these?
Thanks a lot in advance for any replies! I apologize for the lengthy question, I want to collect as much information as I can before deciding.

Associate
OP
I had no problems with the cable. The new system will have a bigger case that would make placing it where the previous system was uncomfortable, so i'm going to put it on top of a table. Now the problem is that the old cable isn't long enough to reach it there. I originally wanted to just extend it a bit to reach, but after reading that the cat5 has a slower transfer rate compared to what we mostly have now i thought moving to wifi could work better.
I feel a bit silly now after reading your replies. I started from the presumption that we have 100 Mbps+ internet connection and my cable could be bottlenecking it - windows says my connection to the router is 100. Having checked it just now it turns our subscription is only 30 Mbps, so I guess it doesn't really matter what cable I use. You guys are probably the saviors of my wallet.
I think I'll just extend it a bit. Can I extend a cat5 cable with cat5e/cat6 cables?

Associate
OP
The pulling through option sounds managable, i might try doing that one. If I understood that correctly, I attach new cable to one end of the already existing one, and then pull the other end so that in the end the new one replaces the old?
In case it's not possible for some reason, I'm fine with just extending the old cables a bit for the time being. As long as my internet subscription does not surpass 100 Mbps, it won't really matter.
If and when I get a faster subscription I'll plan ahead and get new cables out here.
Thank you very much for your replies, I think my problem is solved :)

Back
Top Bottom