Help - computer just exploded! Now what?

Soldato
Hi guys

The missus was just browsing forums when there was an almighty POP and everything went dead, she said a spark came out of the back as well.

I've unplugged it from the mains and have checked inside but I ca't see any marks of any kind, the motherboard looks fully intact, there's no smell...for all intents and purposes it looks fine.

How do I go about diagnosing what the problem could be...basically I want to know, if I plug it back in and switch it on is it liable to take the whole machine out (if it hasn't done so already).

Many thanks for any replies, I'm at a bit of a loss on this one...first time it's happened.

What are the computer specs? Did you build it yourself?
May have a power supply that wasnt meaty enough.

Hyper PSU by any chance?

Thanks for the posts guys, I was wondering about the PSU myself but wasn't sure what would happen if I connected another PSU and it wasn't that at fault.

Yes the computer was home built, has been running quite happily for over a year and the power supply is a Corsair 620...as I said, it wasn't even under any load, just forum browsing. :(

there's been a lot of corsair dying, just like the hipers. is it because both had flaws or is it because they where the most recommended psu and thus 90% of the forum uses them.

Oh heck...well hopefully it's the later...I've got 6 PCs running on Corsair supplys because they were so highly recommended and reviewed.

I could replace it with a Corsair :( 450W which I would have to harvest from an office PC...does anyone know offhand if they have the dual power connectors required for powering an 8800GTX graphics card?

Aye & the worse thing is you have to send Corsair PSU's to Netherlands after 1 year warranty as the 4 other years have to be done through Corsair.

I would rather have a PSU with a UK RMA service, less hassle in the long run.

Totally agree with you there, wish I'd known about that when I bought...funny thing, none of the reviews mentioned it :(

Bah and double bah...still...not sure if it's the PSU or not yet...better get testing *sigh*

Many many thanks for all the posts guys, really appreciate the quick coming to the rescue!

Yep, definitely was the Corsair PSU, I had a few clues...
Bits of black soot etc. coating the CPU heatsink (PSU is mounted at the top of the case)

Bits falling out of the PSU when I removed it

Everything (thankfully) working fine when I've put another PSU (Tagan) in....so there were subtle clues indicating what caused it.

Right...anyone have any idea how much it will cost to RMA it if they don't cover the postage?

ALso...I'm going to replace it in the meantime...can't be without my GTX for a month or so, so I'm looking for recommendations for a 750(ish)W PSU...preferably one:

That has been out more than a year and proven that it doesn't have a self destruct mechanism.

One that can be RMA'd in the UK should the need arise.

Modular connections

Quiet as a dormouse sneaking biscuits.

Cheers :)

What's the general consensus on PSU makes at the moment?

Corsair...not going back there :(
Tagan - used to be good but not so much now?
Enermax - I've heard good things about them for a long time but never used one.
Zalman - good things mentioned about these as well it seems.

I've got to get myself fixed up with one asap so what would you guys recommend?

Cheers :)

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that about a week after my 620 exploded...my sisters did as well...great...two that I had to replace in a week :rolleyes:

Thankfully both were just swapped over at the counter (even though I had mine over 2 years, it didn't need sending away)...but now I'm just waiting for them to go bang again.

Bah...based on experience I'd advise against those PSU's now :(.

Back
Top Bottom