Help Dell Dell OptiPlex 9020 PC boot issues

Soldato
I've been given a A Dell pc to see if I can fix, Ive taken a look and I'm not what the issue is, when powering up the PC has a orange light on the power button blank screen. I think it could be the motherboard or PSU but im not 100%.
I believe its a Dell OptiPlex 9020 but ill double check once I get a change.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Soldato
It could be anything from the tiny bit of info you've given.
You'll need to do basic troubleshooting first, remove all parts and test as you add them back /reseat them individually.

Associate
Reset everything, pull cmos etc and then turn it on. Note down the LED flashes on the front, both white and orange and then lookup the error on "A Reference Guide to the Dell OptiPlex Diagnostic Indicators"

Soldato
OP
It could be anything from the tiny bit of info you've given.
You'll need to do basic troubleshooting first, remove all parts and test as you add them back /reseat them individually.

Sorry for the delay reply, got occupied with other things due to the bank holiday and ended up forgetting to reply. I have removed everything exept the CPU and power from the motherboard, I removed the cmos battery also but I still get the orange light.
Reset everything, pull cmos etc and then turn it on. Note down the LED flashes on the front, both white and orange and then lookup the error on "A Reference Guide to the Dell OptiPlex Diagnostic Indicators"
Thank ill need to do this, if I can keep track of the light, ill more then likely count to many knowing me :D

Soldato
I've been given a A Dell pc to see if I can fix, Ive taken a look and I'm not what the issue is, when powering up the PC has a orange light on the power button blank screen. I think it could be the motherboard or PSU but im not 100%.
I believe its a Dell OptiPlex 9020 but ill double check once I get a change.

Does anyone have any suggestions
Having a quick look online I found this

Hello Guys,

I recently have ran into a problem with my pc (Dell Optiplex 9020) it's power button light was blinking orange like

blink..blink..........blink. I looked up for this issue and found a post it said hold power button for 7 seconds to 9 seconds and then press power button again twice and that worked it got fixed. But why did this problem even occur? Do I have to get my pc checked? Is there anything wrong? Please let me know I am desperate to find out what's the matter.

I also have GTX 750Ti 2GB and after light 4 or 5 months of installing graphic card, my ethernet adapter stopped working. Today when I looked at it it was little bit black on the top and little bit on the side, looked like it was burned, is my fan not helping to cool down my pc? Do I need to install a better PSU?

Please help me out with this trouble.

Taken from the below link

Looking at the LED codes below it seems to be a PSU issue

Table 1. Power LED Diagnostics
offoffsystem is OFF
offblinkingsystem is in sleep state
blinkingoffpower supply unit (PSU) failure
steadyoffPSU is working but failed to fetch code
off​
steadysystem is ON

A bit miss leading as others have said its a PSU issue but replaced it and still got the same orange blinking which then people have said its a motherboard problem

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Having a quick look online I found this

Taken from the below link

Looking at the LED codes below it seems to be a PSU issue

Table 1. Power LED Diagnostics
offoffsystem is OFF
offblinkingsystem is in sleep state
blinkingoffpower supply unit (PSU) failure
steadyoffPSU is working but failed to fetch code
off​
steadysystem is ON

A bit miss leading as others have said its a PSU issue but replaced it and still got the same orange blinking which then people have said its a motherboard problem
Finally got some to day, I checked and Im getting the same error blink..blink..........blink amber light. I followed what they did but no change.

When I connect the power cable it starts up automatically, I get the blinking amber lights and after the 3rd light it reboots (loop).

Looking at link 2,3 system board, memory or CPU failure. I expected it was the motherboard, how can I check which part could be the issues without getting a another board ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom