Help identify this font plz/Or explain how I can achieve this effect?

Soldato
This is part of the sign written business name on the side of a mate's van. He says he never got the original files from the person who did the logo for him and that person concerned has long since moved on and is not able to be contacted for info. Can anyone identify the font used here or something as close to it as possible? If not I was thinking of just searching for a similar 3D type font but if you look at it, the font seems to be a 'font within a font' almost? How do you achieve this effect?

Any help muchos appreciated!! :cool:

Here's the font in question:-

wlyD2j4.jpg.png

Soldato
Have you got a better shot of the typography? As in, straight on and level. What the font can't identify any characters.

Also, I doubt that is a specific font with those effects. The font will be the red part, with 3 strokes of different colours and a shadow.

Soldato
OP
Hi, thanks for the reply. I ran it through What the font and it did indeed struggle to come up with anything. So I registered and posted on their help identify a font forums:-

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/case/710209/#msg0

It's been identified as Folio Extra Bold? Looks like a very close match. My next question is taking the basic Folio Extra Bold, how do I achieve the same stroke/shadow effects in order to replicate it as it is in the image? I'm using CS6 PS and Fw.

Soldato
OP
Black stroke. Rasterise. White stroke. Rasterise. Black stroke. Rasterise. Hard drop shadow with extra distance.

I get as far as Black stroke. Rasterise.

But then if you try and edit the text further to apply a second white stroke, it wont do it as the image is now rasterised and the text can't actually be edited. Or am I going wrong somewhere? After applying the black stroke and then rasterising if I attempt to apply a further stroke in white the stroke action options aren't there. the little box showing you the colour of your stroke is a white square with a red line through it meaning transparent?

Associate
I had a go, used 3 layers:

bottom layer has drop shadow and thick black inner stroke (~7px) with the font set to red
middle layer has thick white inner stroke (~5px) and its fill set to 0%
top layer has thin black inner stroke (~2px) and its fill set to 0%

had to use all inner strokes as the drop shadow does not come out as well with the stroke on the outside.

http://prntscr.com/3ius3v

not quite the same but it should give you something to work on

Last edited:
Soldato
I get as far as Black stroke. Rasterise.

But then if you try and edit the text further to apply a second white stroke, it wont do it as the image is now rasterised and the text can't actually be edited. Or am I going wrong somewhere? After applying the black stroke and then rasterising if I attempt to apply a further stroke in white the stroke action options aren't there. the little box showing you the colour of your stroke is a white square with a red line through it meaning transparent?

Apologies, those were slightly abbreviated steps.

So create your text layer with the text tool and get the type you want. Rasterise your text layer, make sure your font size is fit for purpose because you can't go back and edit it now. Right click the layer and go blending options, add the stroke effect you want. Then create a new layer below that and merge the rasterised text layer down so that all of the blending effects are merged into the new layer. Then you can apply another blending effect, rinse and repeat to get as many strokes as you need and then the hard shadow at the end.

Soldato
OP
Many thanks guys, much appreciated. I also found THIS video on YT which I think sounds similar to Gord's method - explains it pretty well and managed to come up with this as a result:-

cvRxKjB.jpg.png

Nice link Kotu, reading and digesting that now. Thanks guys, helped a lot!!

Back
Top Bottom