Help me choose 64Gb of RAM, and help me learn how to tune/overclock

Soldato
Ok, I managed to whittle it down to this lot.
Memory.jpg

I'm starting from a high base in terms of clock speed. But I would like to tune/overclock it, I'd be happy with 6800 at CL32. I'll be on a Z790 board with a 13700k or 14700k (Haven't decided yet)

I've heard a lot of good things about the Teamgroup one, but it's starting with a high CL, can someone with experience let me know if I can bring that down to at least CL32 or lower?

I know the Corsair Dominator is a lot of money, but I am tempted by its looks. I suppose I'm asking someone to tell me off and persuade me to save myself a chuck of money :D

I would also like to know if there's any guides on how to tune/overclock ram, Buildzoids videos drone on a bit and I was wondering if there's any good videos or articles to show me at least where to start from?

Thanks for your time!

Soldato
OP
Sorry Ive just realized you'll be running Intel, from what ive read you'll be lucky to run 6000mhz on a 13700, the IMC is poo, not sure about the 14700.

That's the opposite of what I read. Seems like the Intel chips can run fine up to 6800 with little to no issues. But you'll need Hynix's A-Die to get anything over 7000.

From what i read i'm pretty shocked you managed to get 8000 on an AM5, the memory controller is supposed to be much worse than Intels

Soldato
OP
Theres a thread right under yours, pretty much the same thread

this is mine right now, im just sorting my curves out then 8000 next, everyone is hitting it on AM5

Ah, i see, you're confused. You're correct in that would be true because he's trying to buy 2 more sticks to make it 4 sticks in total. And yes in that case it would be a miracle if he manages to get over 5600 let alone 6000

But if he went with 2 sticks of 32Gb then 6800 should be easily possible, especially on that motherboard! It's a fantastic motherboard, and it's also the one I'll be getting soon.

EDIT - There seems to be a weird consensus on this forum about Intel memory controllers and anything over 6000 when it's contrary to literally everywhere else on the internet, including Buildziods channel. Not sure how this started or who's perpetuating this. But it's simply not true

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
On AMD the issue seems to be with 2DPC boards, even when only running 2 sticks let alone 4 sticks, people on 1DPC boards arnt having the same problems, not sure if Intel are having the same trouble, but thats one of the reasons you cant find the ASUS x670e Gene anywhere, everyone brought them up lol, because why have a 2DPC board when they are having problems and you've got next to no chance of running 4 sticks at any decent speed anyway, which would also explain your results @Mysterae_ mini ITX is 1DPC.

You're mixing up AMD with Intel. With a decent Intel chip and any half-decent Z790. You should be able to reach 6800 at a minimum and be very stable. Otherwise manufacturers wouldn't be selling mem sticks running that high.

Back
Top Bottom