Help me choose a new boiler (or tell me I don't need a new one)

Soldato
Background:

I currently have a 24kw Glowworm Combi boiler. Probably about 7 years old.

Up until now this has fed a living room, two bedrooms and one bathroom but an Electric shower (so not feeding any shower).

What Do I need

• I am extending my flat and making some changes - adding a bigger kitchen and loft extension.
  • Builder has suggested I get a larger boiler as 24kw is very small and may not keep up with the new needs.
  • I will soon have two bathrooms and i'll pretty much doubling the floor space - many more radiators.
  • In addition I will be going for showers that are not electric - I want to get those cool showers that 'shower from above' - you know the square ones everyone is going for!
  • Will integrate WIFI, NEST, etc.

I was thinking of a 30/32w? Will the extra W mean it can keep up with both showers going? IS there any way to get showers that are good with low water pressure? I've seen shower pumps mentioned......

Thanks for any advice

Soldato
OP
Thanks both for the input.

Another variable....turns out one reason why the builder is suggesting a new boiler is he removed the existing on to extend the kitchen......and he know plumbers hate plugging in a boiler they have not removed. Seems like a bit of a cop out...why not get the plumber to remove the boiler :/

Also, apparently when the radiators were disconnected the water was pretty much black, never changed in 8+ years. Would this have a negative imact on the boiler?

Loam: Do flow rates depend on existing water pressure?

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the delay, thanks for the replies all.

Looking into combi boilers I see some quite large ones (40kw) are only a little more than the 32KW ones. Any downside to getting one of this size and not really needing it? Faster heating I guess!

Edit: just to add - can all decent boilers do dual-zone? I'm looking at a winchester bosch 40kw or a Baxi 40kw....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom