Help me choose mobo+RAM please

Associate
i'm a little wary over compatibility issues over my last purchases, the mobo and RAM seem to have their own issues too >.<

CPU will need to run at 250-280MHz FSB, socket 939
RAm preferably at 2gb, preferably a good overclocker without raising voltages over stated limits.

I'm looking at:
DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D (what does UT stand for?)
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT (could someone tell me where the £30 between the 2 go, other than the layout?)

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2-3-3-6) (are stated timings guaranteed? http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx2048-3200c2.pdf)
G.Skill 2GB DDR HS PC3200 (2.5-3-3-6)
Mushkin 2GB DDR XP4000 Extreme Performance Dual Channel Kit (3-4-3-8)
Which of these would manage the tightest stable timings at 250MHz?

Oh, and it'd be great if the mobo and RAM actually work together at the specs they're supposed to :P

Thanks

I am thinking of using SLI in the future (put into a bit of doubt though with dx10 coming).
I've just read that some DFI boards arent able to read temps properly.. which is a big issue for me. Is it a frequent problem? Can you RMA with that as a reason?

Also i read that AMD says DFI boards dont support the Opteron (socket 939) which worried me, but i think most people on this forum use DFI with an Opteron? So it's nothing to worry about?

Oh, and could someone tell me which they think will be faster-
Opteron 170, (250x10)MHz
2GB RAM, 2-3-3-6, 1T 5:6 (208MHz)

or

Opteron 170, (250x10)MHz
2GB RAM, 3-4-4-8, 1T 1:1 (250MHz)

Thanks for any help, i should be making the purchase tomorrow :)

I think i'll stick with pc3200 then since pc4000 is more expensive :P

Right now, i think i'm going to go with
DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D
G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 or OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Plat

Which would you chose between the 2 sets of RAM? Same speed/timings, G.Skill cheaper by about £12.

Might actually be the end of the month before i buy them though, i wanna get a vf-900 too, i have £86 in the bank :(

Any opinions on which to choose between

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT
DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D

My worries/thoughts:
The EXPERT seems to (potentially) have a lot of problems, from reading temps wrong, not running SLI, dual channel RAM issues, to cold boot problems and CPUs getting murdered. But it easily has the best layout for me, and seems to have the best support (maybe it needs it more?)

I've read that the Ultra-D can be modded into the SLI-d, so for me the only difference between the 2 is having to do the mod if i go SLI. Seems to be a good board, although it doesnt seem to get much support or updates.

I'm leaning towards the Ultra-D right now..

Back
Top Bottom