Help me diagnose my PC issue

Associate
Hi everyone,

I have a desktop PC. It has 16GB of RAM with GTX 460 graphics card and I have upgraded from Windows 7 to windows 8 and now windows 10. The computer has suddenly stopped working with just black screen and nothing on the monitor. I thought it was the monitor but the monitor has worked fine with another PC.

I thought it might be hard drive failure and I was a little concerned but luckily, I have just removed the hard drive and tried it in a Dell PC and it worked - I can see my usual desktop with all my sticky notes and files etc.

At this point, what else would you recommend I try?

Thank you everyone. The power supply is working has the different fans on the system come on. The light on the front also come on.

My motherboard has an onboard video and I have tried that with no luck, although I am thinking I may need to remove the Graphics card to activate the onboard one. There are 4 Rams on there and I will remove them all and try 1 after the other to see. The speaker is connected and it doesn't make any noise either.

I have now, removed the graphics card and there's still nothing. The green light on the motherboard is on and the fan on the motherboard is working.

Anything else that I should try?

Thanks

Have you tried it in another pc ?
Can you double check the bios to ensure the onboard graphics are enabled ?

I have tried the hard drive with the operating system on another PC & it worked. When I put the hard drive back into its pc, the fan comes on and the light on the motherboard but nothing is displayed on the monitor. I have removed the graphic card and still nothing. But how do I enter bios to enable the integrated GPU if nothing is showing on the monitor?

So far, I have done the following.
  1. Removed the hard drive and tried it in a Dell PC and it worked
  2. Removed and returned the RAMs and the graphic card
  3. I have reset CMOS by removing the battery and replacing it
  4. I have tried from the integrated GPU on the motherboard
  5. I have just put the hard drive back into a small dell PC and it loaded windows 10 pro fine as before. However, when I logged on as admin - there's a lot of update necessary and this is till ongoing
I am planning to let the updates etc finish and then remove the hard drive and try again. But is there anything else?

The motherboard is the only thing left that I can think of. Is it possible the motherboard is gone even though the fan and the light comes on? OR could it be the CPU that is gone?

Back
Top Bottom