Help me pick some new cookware (pots and pans mostly)

Associate
Hi,

After trawling the internet for countless hours and falling into a pithole of contradicting advice and opinions, I thought I'd come to the chaps at OcUK for a bit of insight.

I am looking to refresh my cookware collection, in part because I have a lot of tired pans, but also because I'd like to branch out with the things I cook.

The other half is a veggie so it's quite rare that I cook meat (although I always cook it for guests and what not). I've spent the past many years mainly cooking what you'd call one-pot meals in a big circulon infinite saute pan, anything from risottos and currys to most varieties of tomato sauce/bolognese and casseroles.

I still want to cook that sort of thing but I want to add more - two potential ways of branching out I've looked at are griddling and more oven based dishes (i.e. cast iron casserole).

Anyway, I've got a couple of pans I will want to keep moving forward, a Procook stainless steel stockpot with steamer and a circulon infinite milkpan (used for milk, porridge, eggs and general reheating). I've seen the old stainless vs non-stick debate played out many a time and can say I am pretty confident cooking sauce-based dishes on stainless. I've had a pretty bad time with high-heat frying so I am probably looking to build a hybrid collection depending on the task.

For general saucepans I think I want to settle on one of two ranges, and either get a triple set or the two larger sizes ( 18 and 20cm)
either these oxo pans : http://www.oxouk.com/p-1332-3-piece-set-161820-saucepan-with-lid-set.aspx#
Or these procook pans (will replace the lids with the normal professional series ones) https://www.procook.co.uk/shop/cookware/procook-elite-triply
That being said I have enjoyed cooking with circulon infinite pans, I just find stainless steel is more heat responsive, cooks quicker (and thus retains more moisture) and is easy to manage so long as you pay attention when cooking.

Beyond that, I have spotted a pan on the jungle and if you search for a "GreenPan Michel Roux Collection 20 cm Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Non-Stick Open Saucier" you'll find it pretty quickly. It seems like a pretty versatile option for one pot dishes vs. the saute pan I am coming from. I've also been eyeing up the 26cm deep frying pan from this range http://www.tefal.co.uk/Cookware-%26-Kitchenware/Pots-%26-Pans/Jamie-Oliver-by-Tefal-Cookware/Jamie-Oliver-Hard-Anodised-Induction-Professional-Series/p/R-JO-IHA

Oh and I currently cook on electric and will soon be moving to induction.

And that's about as far as I've got. Any insights, recommendations would be much appreciated, particularly on what to buy as a core set and what to consider for expanding and diversifying what I'm cooking!

Edit & Update:

In case anyone comes looking for ideas/inspiration on what to buy, the suggestions in this thread are excellent. I had a look at most of the pans recommended including those above, procook, stellar, jamie oliver by tefal and le creuset pans and of course the Ikea. I think any level of cook would do well with any of the pans mentioned.

As mentioned I already have a 16cm circulon milkpan (excellent for scrambled eggs, reheating meals) and 20cm Procook professional steel stockpot with steamer, both of which I'd highly recommend.

Here's a run through of what I ended up getting:

This Sautese. Wasn't quite sure how this would be proportioned, it is very much a hybrid of a saute pan and a saucier which makes it incredibly versatile. the sensuell range has a real feel of quality, solid, thick walls, very, very even heat distribution, very quick to heat and excellent thermal control when heat is taken away. The handles are solid and comfortable and sticking is very easy to control, if it happens at all.

This frying pan. As above really.

This lid for the above. Compared it to some universal lids 4-5x price. This has a better thickness and feel of quality, and frankly looks better.

This In pan sets you usually get a 16,18 and 20cm pan. On a conventional hob, you get small and large hob rings that fit the 16 and 20 perfectly. That entails an annoying dilemma with the 18cm pans as to whether to go over or under-sized on the ring. This pan gets around that; it has the capacity of an 18cm, it fits snugly on a small ring and it's thermal properties mean you are waiting about the same time for to heat as if you had used a bigger ring.

This tiny saucepan for boiling small things quickly. Just excellent materials and build, especially the nice, thick, solid glass lid. Handle is a little uncomfortable but if you are handling it extensively just use a pot holder/sleeve. The saucepans in this range are excellent, as is the wok. Wouldn't recommend the saute pan though.

That was my haul from Ikea, though I picked up a range of accessories like the 365+ pot holders and magnetic trivets and some of the utensils with the steel handles, all excellent.

This cast iron grill pan. Actually not this one, the previous generation in satin black (distinction is the 'helper handle' at the back does not have a hollowed-out centre so isn't really a handle, doesn't really bother me. I love this pan. Yes there are cheaper ones out there, however, the one big difference is that Le Creuset is the only one I could find that is enamelled inside out. This was a key requirement for me as although it makes the BEST meat ever (I wouldn't use anything for steaks, fish, duck breast, chicken breast, etc) I also want to cook things for the vegetarian SO and being able to wash out the meat juices isn't possible if you are building a seasoning/patina on an uncoated cast iron pan. Cleans up really well too. If you look soon enough the previous gen is going for about £60 a pan in some places which I think is well worthwhile.

Finally on the non-stick I looked Ikea first (those recommended) and didn't like them due to the discomfort of the handle and the light weight. No qualms on quality though. I then looked at the Jamie Oliver and the Circulon symmetry ranges. If you are looking at Circulon, stick with the infinite range. I find even the infinite range frying pans can feel a bit too light for me (oddly enough the saucepans have a really good weight to them), the symmetry are flimsy, the bases thinner, the handles look cheap in person; real shame. The Jamie Oliver pan I would recommend highly but I thought with the high sides and the smallest being a 26cm it was just not versatile enough. If anything I'd have a deeper small frying pan and a wider large frying pan.

I also happened to look at the le creuset toughened non-stick pans which I really, really liked. I liked the weight especially, the comfort of the handles and the nice thick bases. Also, the range of sizes and the fact you could go deep or shallow, and the quality of the lids as well. However, there is the price.

So I mulled up getting a combination of le creuset and circulon infinite, or one or the other. In the end I went with neither. I stumbled upon another range, which included this set. Took a while to find as you can't get that particular set in the UK (but it is worth buying from the states online and paying the shipping). I went and saw some other pans in the range in a cook shop in town. Really good weight, nice thick bases and good handles and have the same autograph 2 coating as Circulon. So I am waiting for these to arrive. If they are the best thing ever/terrible I will update in due course!

Finally I just wanted to say a huge thanks to all the input and suggestions I got in this thread. Mixed advice, but I think on balance no one perspective is wrong and it really helped inform my decision as you can see with the hybrid cookware collection I ended up with.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have a bunch of these pans. Very similar to the ones you linked. Can vouch for their quality, I'm really happy with them over a year on.

I too came from non-stick to SS (Anolon) - and won't go back now :)

Thanks for your input - I am really pleased with the stockpot I got in that range so it seems like they might be the sensible choice here. Out of interest what do you use for your frying and sauteing? Have you completely ditched non-stick?

Associate
I have a mix to be honest. I have some semi-cheap non-stick that use for certain things, I also have some nice French carbon steel ones, and a cheap SS too.

A nice full SS fry pan is next on my list I think. Don't think I'd ever totally ditch the non-stick for frying though.

Associate
I recommend against the GreenPan one. Ceramic non-stick pans seem to lose their non-stickness after a few weeks of use. I think future iterations of ceramic non-stick might be great, but the technology isn't quite there yet. I think top-grade teflon is still king for frying pans.

I'd also say that general saucepan sets are pretty redundant. You're keeping your stockpot and milkpan, so all you really need is a pan for the middle. For that I'd recommend a sauteuse which is halfway in between a saucepan and a frying pan. It's fantastic for the dishes you mentioned (risotto, currys etc).

I'd also recommend you get a cast iron casserole pan. They're super versatile for anything from high heat searing of big hunks of meat to long and slow cooking of stews.

For specific recommendations, I like IKEA pans. I talked about them a bit in the other pan thread but I don't think the quality of them can be beaten for the price. Therefore I'd say:

This frying pan - The Teflon professional coating is really good. I've got one and really like it.

This sauteuse - It's a nice heavy pan, with triple ply in both the base and walls. I've also got one of these and really like it.

Then pretty much any enamelled cast iron casserole pan. I actually don't favour Ikea for these as I like a smoother enamel coat on the inside than their version. Most supermarkets or Amazon do versions for about £30.

Soldato
Another vote for IKEA 365 range, had mine for about 6 years and still going strong.

For wok type thing i use a Tefal intensium 28cm, had for about a year, quite heavy use and non stick is still intact.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I recommend against the GreenPan one. Ceramic non-stick pans seem to lose their non-stickness after a few weeks of use. I think future iterations of ceramic non-stick might be great, but the technology isn't quite there yet. I think top-grade teflon is still king for frying pans.

Will avoid in that case, thanks for the warning!

I'd also say that general saucepan sets are pretty redundant. You're keeping your stockpot and milkpan, so all you really need is a pan for the middle. For that I'd recommend a sauteuse which is halfway in between a saucepan and a frying pan. It's fantastic for the dishes you mentioned (risotto, currys etc).

This sauteuse - It's a nice heavy pan, with triple ply in both the base and walls. I've also got one of these and really like it.

I've been coming back and looking at the Sensuell series every so often as I have always felt like a pan set is redundant. The thing that attracts me to them is that it isn't a traditional set and each piece is quite versatile like this one. The thing that's put me off is I obsess over reviews and feedback and there doesn't seem to be any around for the ikea ranges. How long have you had the pan and do you find the heat distribution nice and even and quick?

This frying pan - The Teflon professional coating is really good. I've got one and really like it.

Have you ever used the circulon infinite frying pans? Would be interested to know how this compares

I'd also recommend you get a cast iron casserole pan. They're super versatile for anything from high heat searing of big hunks of meat to long and slow cooking of stews.

Then pretty much any enamelled cast iron casserole pan. I actually don't favour Ikea for these as I like a smoother enamel coat on the inside than their version. Most supermarkets or Amazon do versions for about £30.

I was actually thinking of being a bit more of a snob here and investing in a le creuset casserole, always wanted one!

A lot of people seem to rate tefal so I don't think I would be going wrong with the jamie oliver one.

I am tempted by cast iron, but I would like a griddle pan I think for meat and veg and as I have to cook for a veggie I need to wash it with soap which I think is a big no for cast iron. Anyone have any joy with non-stick griddle pans for searing meat or griddling veg? Also, I forgot to mention I have a slow cooker that gets a fair bit of use!

beh

beh

Associate
Go with what Jolteh says.
The thing that's put me off is I obsess over reviews and feedback and there doesn't seem to be any around for the ikea ranges.
Ikea 365/Sensuel cookware is very solid and great value. I think people often get the wrong impression as they do also sell cheap/disposable pan sets for ~£5 and don't make enough effort to differentiate their various ranges.
I was actually thinking of being a bit more of a snob here and investing in a le creuset casserole, always wanted one!
Le Creuset is silly money, no reason to spend more than £30.
A lot of people seem to rate tefal so I don't think I would be going wrong with the jamie oliver one.
Again, you're just paying extra for the marketing.

Soldato
Another vote for IKEA 365 range, had mine for about 6 years and still going strong.

For wok type thing i use a Tefal intensium 28cm, had for about a year, quite heavy use and non stick is still intact.

+1 for Ikea. Their 365+ series is great. I've been using this wok for the past year and not even the slightest sign of any deterioration of the non stick surface. Way, way better than any woks I bought in supermarkets.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90207096/

I also use the 365+ frying pan which is just as good, but it's not listed anymore.

Associate
OP
+1 for Ikea. Their 365+ series is great. I've been using this wok for the past year and not even the slightest sign of any deterioration of the non stick surface. Way, way better than any woks I bought in supermarkets.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90207096/

I also use the 365+ frying pan which is just as good, but it's not listed anymore.

With so many ringing endorsements, I'll be heading into Ikea in the next few weeks. With style, function and minimalism in mind I will probably be looking at the sensuell range for the sautese, saucepan and maybe a stockpot (mostly because I want the lid for the sautese..)

That wok looks very good but I don't really cook things that lend themselves to a wok. Is the frying pan in the same style and have you seen it in store?

I'll also probably pop into john lewis, any particularly good items to be found in there? Still unsure on what to get on the frying side..

Associate
Another vote for Ikea's 365+ range. I bought the three saucepan set for £65, two frying pans and the saute pan. The only fault I've found is food sometimes sticks to the bottom of the saucepans.

Soldato
With so many ringing endorsements, I'll be heading into Ikea in the next few weeks.

That wok looks very good but I don't really cook things that lend themselves to a wok. Is the frying pan in the same style and have you seen it in store?

I just took a picture of my 365+ pans. Styling is the same, long SS handle and silver underside. Frying pan has a nice weight to it. I've done a fair few stir fries in the wok over the last year. Admittedly though the frying pan has been underused, just fried eggs, but I know it will hold up for a long time with heavier use. I always make sure I never use metall utensils, and nothimg abrasive to clean, just soak and soft sponge, it all wipes away.

20160214_181129.jpg

Associate
I've been coming back and looking at the Sensuell series every so often as I have always felt like a pan set is redundant. The thing that attracts me to them is that it isn't a traditional set and each piece is quite versatile like this one. The thing that's put me off is I obsess over reviews and feedback and there doesn't seem to be any around for the ikea ranges. How long have you had the pan and do you find the heat distribution nice and even and quick?

I've had it about 6 months and am still impressed by it. It's triple ply in both the walls and the base, so the heat distribution is nice and even. It's also reassuringly heavy so it's got decent thermal mass. I'm not massively keen on the silicon bit on the handle, but that's just personal preference I think.

I've found the shape and size really versatile for a bunch of things from simple sauces to dishes like risotto to other things like deep frying small batches of food.

As beh mentioned, you're not likely to find lots of reviews as IKEA don't seem to market their gear like other companies do. Obviously this is reflected in the cheaper price, so it's a bonus really.

Have you ever used the circulon infinite frying pans? Would be interested to know how this compares

I've used them briefly at other people's houses, but not for any length of time. The newer teflon coatings are really nice though. (see here for the different grades.) I can't fault the TROVÄRDIG one, but if I hadn't gotten one of those I think I'd just get one from a catering store like Nisbets.

I am tempted by cast iron, but I would like a griddle pan I think for meat and veg and as I have to cook for a veggie I need to wash it with soap which I think is a big no for cast iron. Anyone have any joy with non-stick griddle pans for searing meat or griddling veg? Also, I forgot to mention I have a slow cooker that gets a fair bit of use!

Cast iron is the king for griddle pans again. All of the non-stick griddle pans are made from aluminium or steel which is stamped from sheet metal. As a result they're just shallow bumps that don't really griddle as well as the deeper bars you get in cast iron pans. If you get a decent enamelled cast iron griddle pan then you should be able to wash with soap as normal.

Associate
OP
I just took a picture of my 365+ pans.

Admittedly though the frying pan has been underused, just fried eggs, but I know it will hold up for a long time with heavier use.

Thanks for this - these are really visually appealing pans, helps to see them in the real world! I typically use frying pans less often than other bits and it's mainly for eggs, omlettes and pancakes so I am sure it'll be fine for my uses. I noticed from the link that Jolteh posted it has the same coating as the Jamie Oliver pan I've been looking at, so it makes for a much better alternative! Can't wait to check them out in person :D

I've had it about 6 months and am still impressed by it. It's triple ply in both the walls and the base, so the heat distribution is nice and even. It's also reassuringly heavy so it's got decent thermal mass. I'm not massively keen on the silicon bit on the handle, but that's just personal preference I think.

I've found the shape and size really versatile for a bunch of things from simple sauces to dishes like risotto to other things like deep frying small batches of food.

As beh mentioned, you're not likely to find lots of reviews as IKEA don't seem to market their gear like other companies do. Obviously this is reflected in the cheaper price, so it's a bonus really.

I really appreciate the feedback on this. I am pretty much sold on the sensuell; I've always liked the look and minimalism of the range and all I've really needed is some solid endorsement to give it some serious consideration. Out of interest do you use the pan open (without a lid) or did you pick up one of the larger pots with the compatible lid? I will definitely be looking to grab at least the sautese and the smaller saucepan. Just wondering if I could justify one of the bigger pots in terms of how I would use it. The stockpot I already have is 20cm in diameter, has a steamer insert and capacity of 4.4L.

I've used them briefly at other people's houses, but not for any length of time. The newer teflon coatings are really nice though. (see here for the different grades.) I can't fault the TROVÄRDIG one, but if I hadn't gotten one of those I think I'd just get one from a catering store like Nisbets.

It's interesting to see the pan you've recommended has a higher grade of teflon than the pan I was considering. The coating on my circulon pan is starting to fail after 5 years, I may go back to teflon at this grade or the 365+ grade to see how it fares.

Cast iron is the king for griddle pans again. All of the non-stick griddle pans are made from aluminium or steel which is stamped from sheet metal. As a result they're just shallow bumps that don't really griddle as well as the deeper bars you get in cast iron pans. If you get a decent enamelled cast iron griddle pan then you should be able to wash with soap as normal.

This is what I've been looking into. To stay in keeping with my ethos of versatility and minimalism I think I will look for a decent cast iron skillet (without griddle lines) for my high heat meat searing/cooking and sauteing/charring vegetables. I am considering enamel to ensure I can clean it thoroughly as the veggie misses will not be happy to have her asparagus cooked in a pan with residual meat juices in the "seasoning". This is something I think comes with a price; you've not been impressed with the SENIOR range at Ikea and others have had problems with the enamel being unstable, it seems the only solid performer in this area is le creuset which will fetch a premium, otherwise I would've just gone with lodge who sadly don't seem to offer enamelled pans.

Soldato

(quote from Jolteh in post #5 - forums not letting me quote properly again)

I would have to disagree with this. I have a large frying pan which has a ceramic coating (and is a Green Pan one) which I have had for several years and frankly is still more non-stick and has lasted better than any Teflon pan I've had.

Associate
OP
(quote from Jolteh in post #5 - forums not letting me quote properly again)

I would have to disagree with this. I have a large frying pan which has a ceramic coating (and is a Green Pan one) which I have had for several years and frankly is still more non-stick and has lasted better than any Teflon pan I've had.

Hi,

Which greenpan range is this from?

Soldato
I have the ikea 365+ and it has been great, the only damage it has sustained is from burned sugar from the other half cooking escapades. I would generally recommend it to others, but you have to not mind a handle which can get rather warm.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I was sick of throwing woks out lol, Ended up buying a tefal one for ~£15 best wok I've ever had, still going strong, non stick still great and I've had it around 3 years.

My other pans are the anolon ones with that old chef blokes face on the box, Dark grey with metal handles and glass lids. Whilst the non stick side of things is still working great and I can fry stuff without oil the outside of them hasn't really stood up as well as I thought they would and they look a bit of a mess. these are I think a year newer than the wok above and look a lot older lol. But they still work fine.

I've mainly been using joseph joseph utensils, but despite the high price and seemingly quality I don't think they're worth it tbh. I think I paid £25 for the utensil carousel and even at that price they aint worth it, I think I might try the lookalikes from Aldi the next time they're in for I think 6.99. Mine have generally stained and melted with very little effort

Back
Top Bottom