Help moving disks in a QNAP TS419P+

Associate
I have an old NAS I use at home split between entertainment and business data.

Its a 4 bay NAS, all with 2TB drives.

Drives 1/2 are set to mirror, only 70GB data on this as its just related to my wifes business data.
Drives 3/4 are set to striped 380GB free and contains media data, not business essential but I would prefer not to lose if avoidable.

I have 2 new 8TB drives I would like to add as a striped volume to contain the data currently on 3/4.

I have tried to copy the current 3/4 data to an attached USB drive but it throws an IO error on a copy/paste and is taking an absolute age, not sure it will complete. It seems to be a common issue in old posts I have read so doesnt look like a solution.
I have copied the data on 1/2 to 3/4 as a backup just in case while i poke around with options.

I plan to do the following, some advice as to whether this is reasonable would be very welcome.

1. Remove drives 1/2, replace with the 8TB drives.
2. In storage manager remove the mirror drive for 1/2
3. In storage manager create a new striped drive for 1/2 for the 8TB drives
4. Copy paste the contents of striped 3/4 to the new 1/2 stripe drive
5. Remove 3/4, replace with original 1/2 drives with wifes data.

It is at this point I need a little advice, will the NAS recognise the original 1/2 drives as being a mirror pair and just reinstate that mirror drive when i put them in bays 3/4? I want to avoid an issue where those old mirror drives are overwritten or blanked ideally, especially as the system is set to have those drives as a striped set.

All help appreciated

Back
Top Bottom