Help - My bootup has gone mad

Associate
Hoping someone can help. The other night i booted up my pc so that i could put some mp3s on my mp3 player. I plugged the mp3 player into my usb slot at the point just after where you get the black windows xp screen with the moving bar. The screen went black and took about 5 mins to boot into windows. Once windows had loaded I did a reeboot as i was hoping this was a once off and the same thing happened, 5 mins to boot into windows. How can a usb device have had this effect?

By the way i am running wix xp pro on an amd 64 2800+, 1 gig memory

Associate
First question to ask is does it only boot slowly when the mp3 player is plugged in? Or is it slow whatever.
Just checking as there was no mention that you had since tried booting it without the player plugged in.
It is possible that the 2 are unrelated...
Anyhoo, let us know :)

Soldato
Oooh sounds very familiar to me. I have an iPod which has always been plugged in. Since I built my new PC I've noticed my boot times were staggeringly slow. None of this 5 minutes stuff but unacceptably long boot times for my PC spec. I was prepared to RMA my Raptor after ghosting my Windows install to my other disk to see if the Raptor was a dud.

Last night I thought I might as well unplug my iPod and take the CD in my DVD writer out and see how quickly the PC boots up in the morning.

Well normally I get about 12-14 scrolls of the blue bar on the XP logo screen followed by at least 30 seconds of the black screen. Without my iPod plugged in and both my DVD drives empty I had 5 scrolls of the blue bars and no black screen. I am going to put a CD into one of the drives and reboot and see if the boot time is affected by this but it seems that the iPod may be the problem.

Are you definitely using a USB connection with your mp3 player? I normally use a Firewire socket for my iPod although once I did try it using a USB socket. The PC wouldn't get pass the POST screen which caused some panicking I have to say until I realised the change I'd made vis a vis the iPod.

I don't really know why my iPod or mp3 players affect the boot times but it would seem that they do.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your replies, I have tried booting without device plugged in but the same thing happens. Funny thing is I have used this mp3 player for months without this problem, but the moment i plug it in when pc is in the middle of booting everything goes pear shaped

Back
Top Bottom