Help Needed - Bizarre Performance on PC - Very Slow

Associate
Hi,

I am having a very strange problem with my PC.

I started experiencing what can only be described as "long performance stutters" in both the loading of applications and the running of applications.

Examples: 1) once the windows desktop appeared it would take many seconds to be able to right click on the explorer bar and get up the menu.

2) World of Warcraft would lock, music would stutter and 15 seconds game would recommend.

3) Attaching my iPOD via USB would take nearly a minute to recognise and load iTunes. Then in iTunes syncing would take a long time, occassionally freeze and then recommence.

4) Logging off and relogging in via Welcome often sees me sitting there for 20 secs waiting for the Password box to appear.

5) Shutting down the machine sees me waiting ages on the "Saving Settings" screen.

So as the OS had not been reinstalled for some time I assumed I should do a nice clean reinstall. However after doing that I still have the same problems :o! Frankly I'm baffled. I thought it might be memory so I swapped out some Corsair Pro DDR400 for some GEIL DDR400 but made no change.

The specs are:
Athlon 64 3200 with higrade heatsink (think it was a zalman)
ECS nForce4 939 Motherboard
XFX 7800GTX PCIe Graphics Card
Corsair Pro DDR400 2x512MB Sticks or Geil DDR400 2x512MB Sticks (all running in 128bit single channel mode)
580W HyperX PSU
DVD RW on IDE
DVDRom on IDE
74GB Sata Raptor Primary Hard Drive
160GB Diamondmax Sata Secondary Hard Drive
200GB Cavair IDE Drive
120GB Diamondmax IDE Drive

System is not overclocked. Memory timings were taken from the manufacturers sites. Have also tried increasing the DDR Voltage one notch in the bios but that's all.

Only software installed is:
XP Home with SP2
iTunes
Firefox
Symantec Antivirus
PC Tools Spyware Doctor
Videora for Ipod
World Of Warcraft
Microsoft Word and Powerpoint

Any ideas?

Associate
Have you applied all the xp updates?

Oh get rid of Symantec Antivirus imo as this really slows down peoples systems .... install AVG anti virus free edition! I constantly had problems when using this and a lot of other people have too, will never touch it again ... AVG is top quality

and get avg anti spyware too its worth it!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Even though it's the tiny Corporate Edition that we use at work? I was led to believe that this was much better, smaller than the Home User version.

All XP Updates have been applied.

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Even though it's the tiny Corporate Edition that we use at work? I was led to believe that this was much better, smaller than the Home User version.

All XP Updates have been applied.

nah, symantec software is rubbish. try NOD32.

Back
Top Bottom