help needed with specing a "server computer"

Soldato
My dad is a kind of a freelance artist and he wants a webcam set up on a bird feeder.

well.
He needs a price on how much a server comp will be to constantly update pictures or streaming vids of bird feeder.
and i dont want it to affect our internet much. we are using bt yahoo with a cap of 30 gb a months, and we have a upstream of 250kbitsps.

well my plan is to use parts of my computer and up grade mine (with out my dad knowing)

i have a

CPU; athlon 64 3000 with 754
MOBO: DFI nf3 250Gb.
MEM: 2*512 3200
GF : ATI radeon 9600 pro 256 mb

so is there anything i can subtly upgrade with out my dad knowing?

and what will i need atleast for a server? i think it can be pretty bad.
and finally how can i update pictures or stream video on the internet?

thankyou,
shimy

Associate
Why not just use your computer as the server and buy yourself a new one? That would probably be the easiest solution. I'm not sure what processors are still available for 754.

Associate
You can get cameras with built-in webservers for about a hundred quid now (maybe cheaper). D-LINK do one that i've played with before, its quite good.

Set yourself up with a cheap ADSL modem router on to your internet connection and configure it to allow outside access, plug in the camera and configure it's IP address - off you go.

You can even get wireless cameras, and set em up to go through a wireless router. You can select your streaming quality too if you need to conserve bandwidth.

It's not quite as easy as that (you'll need to make sure of the spec. of your gear and that it can do what you need) - but thats about the size of what you need to do.

M

Back
Top Bottom