Help needed

Associate
So my GPU just decided to die on me today (have taken it to a shop and have had it confirmed it is the GPu thats shot)
i need some help with pc upgrades, i know cars not computers so this is new to me

MSI Geforce GTX 1050 TI 4G OC GeForce GTX1050TI Graphic Card 4096 MB

AMD FX 8350 Black Edition "Vishera" CPU (8 Core, AM3+, Clock 4.0 GHz, Turbo 4.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 125 W)

Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

thats my current mobo, cpu and GPU

i need to get another GPU and was looking at the 1660 super, however some forums have said thats its pointless as itll be a waste due to my mobo

what im asking is:

1. will my mobo support a 1660 super? (its cheaper to get a 1660 super than a 1060 GTX)
2. if not i will need to upgrade my mobo and cpu, can you point me in the right direction as to what mobo and cpu i would need to purchase to accommodate this upgrade (the cheaper the better obviously)

Welcome abord.

Any graphics card will work in that.
PCI-express is backwards compatible and newer card works in older version slot and vice versa.

Though certainly there's no sense to buy expensive graphics card, because that old Bulldozer aka Faildozer architecture CPU is major bottleneck for gaming... Or anything performance demanding.
(it's good at converting electricity into heat without doing much work with it)

As for upgrades also memories have to be replaced.
And unless use has been light like max hour or two per day would also replace PSU.
Doubt it was that good quality even as new.

1. Yes it will work, but it will likely be a decent sized bottleneck for the 1660 super, particularly at 1080p gaming
2. A B450 motherboard (the MSI Tomahawk Max boards seem to be popular - currently £99 quid on OCUK) with a Ryzen 5 1600AF (make sure it's the one with AF in the box name, not AE - not sure if they are selling this on OCUK yet, but is certainly available elsewhere) if you can pick one up for £80-90 or so. If you can't find the AF box version for that sort of price, double check the price of a Ryzen 5 2600 as it might be only a few quid more. You will also need some DDR4, go for some at at least 3000 speed, preferably 3200, in a 2*8gb kit (you can get a 3200 speed 2*8gb set from OCUK for 75 quid). You are talking about £265.00 or so in total for something like this + whatever your GPU costs.

pretty much bang on the moeny with the costings there, i priced it all up on amazon, i check OCUK and its pretty much the same price across the board for what i need, only upside to elsewhere is next day delivery

May as well grab a 2600X for £114 since the 1600 AF is £98 from what I can see (some are advertising the wrong version). Slightly faster and comes with better cooler. That's if you can't stretch to a 3600 for £150 which is a no-brainer given the performance and price-point.

Mortar MAX will save you a bit v the Tomahawk.

well basically, im just trying to upgrade as cheaply as possible, i dont stream, its purely used for gaming, FPS things like Apex, Call of duty, the odd couple of hours of warframe in a week etc etc.
but my 1050ti broke os im getting 183 back for that from amazon so im looking into upgrading as much as i can for cheap as i can
so all help is vastly appreciated

well basically, im just trying to upgrade as cheaply as possible, i dont stream, its purely used for gaming, FPS things like Apex, Call of duty, the odd couple of hours of warframe in a week etc etc.
but my 1050ti broke os im getting 183 back for that from amazon so im looking into upgrading as much as i can for cheap as i can
so all help is vastly appreciated

cheapest would be ryzen 3400G with B450 Mobo and Ram .

keeping your current set up then £50 GPU from ebay :)

Back
Top Bottom