Help! New gaming pc build £800 budget

Associate
Hello, thanks for your time for looking at my post.
I have around £800 budget to make a new gaming pc.

I have an old skylake pc which I can salvage an old Corsair 850M psu, Gtx 1080, 2x 250gb ssd and a gaming monitor and would like to reuse these.

Other than that, I don't have a preference for amd vs intel.
I would prefer a m.2 as my main hdd, prefer a White case with some aesthetics like a glass panel and some rgb and noise issue is not problem. And probably at least 16gb but prefer 32gb memory.
Quick edit: I also need wifi and happy with onboard sound.

I would like the focus to be on upgradability on the mobo as I will likely replace the cpu and gpu in the future, though overclocking isn't a must.

I will be gaming on this machine on a Samsung G9.. but let's not focus on my gpu problems at the moment as I'm happy to play on lower settings for now.

Last edited:
Thanks for this build @mickyflinn

This looks very nice and I don't mind paying the extra.
Was actually going to swap out the case for one with a type C on the front panel. It has to be white though, but rgb isn't that important as I can always swap out the fans for rgb ones later on.

Also I couldn't find the 12400f anywhere on the site. Is it Oos?

Thanks for your input @JollyJamma.
I have been using my 4690k since forever (apologies, I meant Haswell on my original post). I've been running it overclocked for some time and for a long time it has just been enough for my games. But recently it's shown its age with games like Lost Ark. It's totally bottlenecking my gpu, maybe it's just poorly optimised, who knows....
But regardless, it's definitely time for a whole new upgrade on the entire system.

I get it 12600k should be my base, and build around that...
It'll save up for a new dlss gpu, but that'll be later this year when hopefully they won't be as overpriced.

Thanks @scorchedbee, it'll take a look at those parts

Also another question.
Is there an Amd value for money equivalent to these builds. I remembered back then when Amd gave better bang for your buck with the phenom chips??

And I see some motherboard have ddr5 memory. Is that worth considering getting now and allocate budget into???

Thanks for the reply.

Another question just became very relevant for me is the compatibility with Windows 11.

Are the mobos posted here compatible with this TPM??## whatever that is that windows 11 needs

Thanks for the win11 confirm..

I also want to confirm that my Corsair Hx850 psu still good?, I mean a power supply is a power supply right??, and i doubt the dimensions have changed that much?

Since ive started looking around and with all your helpful inputs, my mindset has changed a little and I've been looking at a £600 build (built on pcpartspicker) and spend the extra on a GPU. I should be able to sell my 1080 and along with the £200ish saving maybe close enough to get a 3060 in a few months.

So currently my complete build would look like this:

Intel Core i5-12400F - £164.09
Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard - £164.99
Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard - £140.56
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory - £69.86
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - £69.98
NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case - £74.98
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler - £39.97
Total cost = £583.87 £559.44

To go with my existing:-
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING Video Card
Corsair hx 850w professional series
2x SSD
Samsung G9

How does that look to you guys? Are there any glaring mistakes in that build?
Am I better off with a B660 mobo?
The 12400F shouldn't bottleneck a 3060 (3090?) right?

edit: changed mobo to b660 since i wont be overclocking

Last edited:
@LiE thanks for your reply.
I'm not going to LiE to you ( ͡°Ɛ ͡°). I went for that case and ram because of the looks.

You are right, that memory is better performance and the case i chose has limitations.

Hopefully it wont be an issue as im not planning to OC, so i shouldn't need anymore cooling than the fan i chose.

Other than that, is my current Hx850 psu still okay? Has there been some major changes that would make it incompatible with the case and/or the mobo?

Would not buy anything from abroad as you have no manufacturers warranty.

Duly noted, thanks.
30 day amazon warranty should be enough for me to find out if its dead on arrival. The rest of the 11 months warranty will be the gamble. But it'll take the chance as it fits my needs.

I'm about to pull the trigger on these parts. Going to sleep on it and order tomorrow.

Have a look at this motherboard.

MSI MAG B660M BAZOOKA DDR4

Did you mean this: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR Wi-Fi Micro-ATX ?

It does look nice and has more usb ports at the back which i may need. This also has wifi built in so saves on me buying a usb wifi dongle.
However, it is also about £50 more than the Asus one i have seen and its a microAtx, though i dont think im going to miss the extra pci slot.

Are there any other down side to microAtx vs Atx?

Is the ASUS Prime B660-PLUS D4 a bad choice for the £140 price?

Have a look at this motherboard.

MSI MAG B660M BAZOOKA DDR4

Oh yea I've just seen the BAZOOKA for £150. I do like the look of it, it has cleaner io at the back.
Is it just preference for msi then over functionality. It does also look like i will be losing a type C input which i prefered.

The reason I went for the Asus is because I though I was getting a £200 board for £140...

Ok going to have my breakfast and get to some retailing ;)

Back
Top Bottom