Help please, new build won't boot

Associate
Morning All,

I have been putting my new pride and joy togther but have run into a mild problem. When isntalling everything and pressing the power button nothing happens. Lights are on but no one is home (kinda thing). The setup is as follows;

Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Reaper
Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU
Western Digital 36Gb raptor HDD

Now, I've installed it all and the lights come on the mobo but when pressing the power button, no boot.
I've changed the RAM for known working RAM, no joy. Be is single stick or both. No joy.
I've checked the PSU on another machine, all works fine.
I have re-seated the CPU, still no joy.

What else can I check or have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Agent.

Associate
OP
Sounds like power button connector (from case) is not plugged in or right way round (on mobo header). Refer to both manuals ;)

Could be, but the Mobo has a power button on it and pressing that has no joy either (be it with case connectors attached or not. :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok - got some good options here. Will go home over lunch and see what happens. Lets hope I get some joy.

Main points so far;
1) Dodgy gfx card.
2) Faulty mobo / connectors.

Keep the ideas-a-flowing.

Thanks,

Agent.

Associate
why not get a screwdriver or something conductive and then short circuit the power pin on mobo and see if it turns on, if so its the connector if not then try short circuiting all other pins incase u read the manual wrong or they labled it wrong and if all fails its the mobo.

oooorrrr something like this happend to my friend when we was overclocking and must have been a bad overclock and we got scared we broke it. all we had to do is reset the bios and it booted fine try resting bios first.

Associate
Strip it down, remove the mobo from the case, and connect only, CPU mobo, PSU, PC speaker and power switch. No RAM, no GPU, no HDD's, nothing else. Try powering up the mobo. This should power up and beep at you (BIOS POST should flag missing memory etc hence the beeps.) If you get that far, then the PSU/mobo/cpu is fine, and you need to then stepwise rebuild the system and reconnect bits and see where it stops POST'ing, which will identify the offending part. If you don't get post beeps at that point, then one of those things are not working: switch, speaker, CPU, mobo, PSU. You should try to eliminate each by a process of elimination. Switch is easy as someone else has suggested you can (carefully!) momentarily short the power-on pins on the mobo. PSU you've already eliminated, which leaves motherboard and CPU as the main contenders. Best is to try your cpu in a known working rig or vice versa.

Associate
OP
That seems like sound advice there byte. Will give it a shot.

I've also ordered in an entire spare set of kit so as if I narrow it down I'll be able to swap it out for a new one as I cba to wait around for a RMA.

Thanks all.

Agent.

Back
Top Bottom