• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help please, selecting 'Manage 3D settings' crashes nvidia control panel, driving me crazy.

I've tried everything, driver sweeper, different drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling in safe mode, even system restore but no matter what every time I select 'Manage 3D settings' the control panel freezes and crashes :confused:

I had a good google around and I think it may be something to do with a game library or list being corrupt maybe?

Anyone had this problem before?

Soldato
Try getting the latest Direct X web runtime from MS & let it detect/update any out of date DX components.

YESSS! FIXED

Just in case anyone googles this the solution is as follows because it seems a few people have this problem,

Download 'Process Monitor' from Windows Sysinternals here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645, boot it up and filter nvcplui.exe so you don't see all the other processes, and then boot up the nivida control panel and monitor nvcplui.exe's interactions in the process monitor, what you'll find is that it doesn't like to read long or abstracted file names and crashes out while doing so, you should be able to spot the file or folder that is giving you the issue, just delete it/rename it.

Last edited:
Associate
Belated thanks as this has been bugging me for a few months. Following instructions I was able to identify that the Heaven Benchmark was causing me this problem.

Soldato
Holy necro post, but this issue happened to me just now (rtx3080, Nvidia driver 366.77). The moment I clicked on "Manage 3d settings" - the Nvidia Control panel would simply shut down. I've tried the above advice with Windows Sysinternals and it still works and may help some people (scroll to the bottom of the filtered event list to just above "Thread Exit" right at the bottom of the massive list of events and start looking for a possible offender).
However, the solution in my case was deleting nvdrsdb1.bin and nvdrsdb1.bin from c:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs\ (thisi is a hidden folder, so enable viewing hidden items first)
Hope this thread helps somebody in the future too!

Back
Top Bottom