Help selecing a motherboard for core 2 duo (list of boards included)

Soldato
I have spend a few days catching up on what going on in the computer hardware world in view to up grading my P4 2.533 on a intel pesv MB.

I would like some advice on what MB to put a core 2 duo 6300 on. I have come up with a short list. I will be putting a 7600GT (Never Sli) and probably the cheapest DDR2 RAM to start with, in view to buying better RAM later.

I would like to know if anyone of the below boards have a bad history for problems. Im most interested in the Intel board just because ive never had problems with intel (and its cheaper than most).
All of these boards are sold by Overclockers.

ASUS P5B ATX iP965 (£96.99)

ASUS P5V-VMDH (£52.40)

MSI 965PNCO (£82.19)

ASUS P5B - VM Micro ATX G965 (£93.99)

ASUS P5N SLi (£88.11)

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (£93.99)

INTEL DP965 LT (£82.24)

Last edited:
Associate
Most of the 965 chipset boards are very picky about RAM. just make sure you get some that is compatible. I can't fault the Gigabyte DS3, which I notice you haven't included in your list. If you do intend to overclock, definitely consider it. Mine does 430 FSB perfectly stable, and the only thing that is holding me back from going higher is my RAM (I have managed to get it prime stable at 470FSB on small ffts).

I would definitely consider it.

And never scrimp on the motherboard, its probably the MOST important part of the computer, even more so than the CPU.

Soldato
OP
Will the manufactures specification on website tell me what RAM will work?

Also when you say some RAM might not work is that certain brands or certain speeds?

Thanks for the info.

Associate
its hit and miss,, the RAM that works. there are some ram that seems to always work, and others that don't, and some that just seem to be pot luck. it can be the brand, or even different versions within a brand.

And no, the manufacturer's specs will not tell you anything.

Soldato
I Would recommend:

- Gigabyte DS3 or DS4

- Asus P5B Deluxe.

You cannot go wrong with these boards.

I have tested Crucial Ballistix RAM in the DS4 and P5B Deluxe and there were no issues.

HTH

Associate
Why is there compatibility issues with memory and mobos? Would they work but not as great as if the twe (memory and mobo) were best of buddies? How would we know this :confused:

Soldato
can't explain why there is compatability issues there just is, maybe someone else can inform as far as choices go, as stated i'm personally going with a p5b deluxe and 2gb of geil pc6400 i know the only issue with this ram is that it's not running at default speeds due to the motherboard ddr voltage being set lower than the memory needs. So a quick boost up in voltage to the correct 2.1 and it then runs at stated speeds

Associate
my pennys worth

check my thread on MSI p965 neo to get idea of problems so far

not a bad board, but wouldnt recommend it to anyone. problem is i think there may by design issues with all 965 chipsets.

Back
Top Bottom