Help Setting up Mountain bike gears

Associate
Hi,

Just got hold of a new mountain bike and, well, its been a few years! have managed to build the thing which wasnt too labouring... but cant work out how to setup the gears (they dont change correctly etc.) as the book is a bit of a strange read.

Wondered if anyone is able to explain it in a bit more sense.

The gears on the bike are-

SRAM 27 speed gears with SX5 rear mech and X7 trigger shifters

Soldato
right, you will have 2 screws which limit the movement at the top and bottom, preventing the chain from going over the edges of the cassette.

Firstly, set your shifter to the highest gear and set the low adjustment screw so that the chain lines up correctly with the highest gear, then use the cable adjustment screw to remove the slack from the cable. Then shift up to the next gear and set the cable adjustment so that it shifts smoothly into that gear, once that is set correctly, it should shift up and down through all the gears smoothly.
Then shift to the lowest gear and keep pressing the downshift, adjust the top screw so that the chain doesnt go over the edge of the cassette. Done.

Soldato
Just to add to the above-

On each derailier there will be 2 screws, looking from the back of the bike the one on the left is for the lowest gear setting and the one on the right for the highest gear.

Set your gears to lowest on both so 1st gear. Now turn the front left screw until the front derailier lines up with the cog and there is no rubbing. Now tweak the left screw on the rear to line that one up too.

Now select the highest gear and do the same procedure with the right screw.

Once you've done that bobs your brothers son and your done and all the gears should be spot on.

Hope that helps.

EDIT IR A BIT SLO..... ;)

Soldato
lordrobs said:
Just to add to the above-

On each derailier there will be 2 screws, looking from the back of the bike the one on the left is for the lowest gear setting and the one on the right for the highest gear.

Set your gears to lowest on both so 1st gear. Now turn the front left screw until the front derailier lines up with the cog and there is no rubbing. Now tweak the left screw on the rear to line that one up too.

Now select the highest gear and do the same procedure with the right screw.

Once you've done that bobs your brothers son and your done and all the gears should be spot on.

Hope that helps.

EDIT IR A BIT SLO..... ;)

the limit screws aint gonna do squat to adjust your shifting, their sole purpose is to limit the derailer movement so the chain doesnt go over the ends of the cassette.

Soldato
Clarkey said:
the limit screws aint gonna do squat to adjust your shifting, their sole purpose is to limit the derailer movement so the chain doesnt go over the ends of the cassette.
OOPS, thanks for clearing that up, didn't mean to give duff advice :o

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, i have managed to allign up the rear derailer, and now after messing about with the cable tension for some time have been able to get it to shift through all the cogs :) The front large cogs on the pedal shaft seem to work ok but the derailer is rubbing the chain a bit... shall have another go tomorrow.

Associate
I find that if I set the limits a little too low on each mech and make up for it with cable tension I get better shifting. Cables will stretch after a week as well so will need adjusting.

Soldato
R220 said:
Cheers guys, i have managed to allign up the rear derailer, and now after messing about with the cable tension for some time have been able to get it to shift through all the cogs :) The front large cogs on the pedal shaft seem to work ok but the derailer is rubbing the chain a bit... shall have another go tomorrow.

There will probably be some chain rub if you are at the extremes of the range. It's nothing to worry about, and I spend so little time in those ratios anyway.

One thing to look for if you are having a problems adjusting the tension so it shifts correctly are worn Jockey wheels on the rear mech. I just spent ages trying to tune my setup before I realised that the reason I could not use one of either the Top or bottom cassette ring was a knackered Guide jockey. it took 2 minutes to fix (new jockeys) and when I looked at the jockey wheels, they where more like Shuriken than bits off a bike.

Back
Top Bottom