HELP! Unable to access my Bios?

Associate
Unable to access my Bios. I press the delete key just after start button, but the first screen to come is the blue Win10 sign-in, every time? This screen comes up very quick after pressing start button. I used to get the pre black 'Republic of Gamers' logo screen and the option to access the Bios for about 2-3 seconds, before the blue Win10 sign-in screen. But no more, straight into Win10 after a few seconds of pressing the start button. I have just upgraded the RAM to 32GB, but I had this problem before that. Can I press any button on the MB to force the PC into the Bios? Help please!

Man of Honour
Unable to access my Bios. I press the delete key just after start button, but the first screen to come is the blue Win10 sign-in, every time? This screen comes up very quick after pressing start button. I used to get the pre black 'Republic of Gamers' logo screen and the option to access the Bios for about 2-3 seconds, before the blue Win10 sign-in screen. But no more, straight into Win10 after a few seconds of pressing the start button. I have just upgraded the RAM to 32GB, but I had this problem before that. Can I press any button on the MB to force the PC into the Bios? Help please!

hold the shift key while you click restart in windows. It will take you to another menu... click UEFI in there and boom you reboot to bios! If you want to be able to hit a key and enter bios during boot disable fast boot in the bios and you will be able to enter it on boot again.

Associate
OP
Sorry Vince, it does not work. I get the 6 option boxes and click on UEFI Firmware Settings, then Restart and then nothing, just a blank screen for a long time. So I press the start button on the front of PC, this turn off the PC, then press it again and Win10 starts up again after a few seconds, no pre Bios option screen. Is there a way to change settings in the MSCONFIG under general. It is set for Normal startup. Still need help in this, otherwise I will have to contact Microsoft or Asus to help.

Man of Honour
Sorry Vince, it does not work. I get the 6 option boxes and click on UEFI Firmware Settings, then Restart and then nothing, just a blank screen for a long time. So I press the start button on the front of PC, this turn off the PC, then press it again and Win10 starts up again after a few seconds, no pre Bios option screen. Is there a way to change settings in the MSCONFIG under general. It is set for Normal startup. Still need help in this, otherwise I will have to contact Microsoft or Asus to help.

Looks like you need to reset the cmos. What board is it?

Edit: If it is the board in your signature:

Do this :)

Associate
OP
'' What board is it''. Strange, whenever I do a post, they ask me what hardware I have got. Are you and others not able to see my hardware signature below my posts? The MB is a 'Asus Maximus VIII Hero'. There is no RTC jumper on the board. It has a clear CMOS button on the MB. Will that do the same thing? You show the diagram of a VI Hero. Mine is VIII. Obviously different. Thank you Vince, you are very helpful.

Man of Honour
'' What board is it''. Strange, whenever I do a post, they ask me what hardware I have got. Are you and others not able to see my hardware signature below my posts? The MB is a 'Asus Maximus VIII Hero'. There is no RTC jumper on the board. It has a clear CMOS button on the MB. Will that do the same thing? You show the diagram of a VI Hero. Mine is VIII. Obviously different. Thank you Vince, you are very helpful.

Yes it does the same thing. Turn the machine off and bash that a few times and it should reset the bios to enable you to get in. Clearly we don't read signatures around here ;) fwiw on a phone in portrait mode the signatures do not show at all.

Associate
OP
When exactly do I press the clear CMOS button. When I shut down Win 10, the PC is in standby mode, as there are still some lit LEDs showing on the MB. I consider the PC 'totally off' when I turn off the power at the wall socket. When in standby mode do I hold the button while pressing the start button? Also there is a LN2 Mode Jumper. The manual says 'With LN2 mode activated, the ROG motherboard is optimized to remedy the cold-boot bug during POST and help the system boot successfully'. I have enabled this, but does not make any difference? Don't know exactly what this does?
Sorry about my confusion. Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have pressed the 'clear BIOS' button and the motherboard starting to activate, (as when just about to start in Win10) but the screen remained blank, no Win10? I tried again, and still blank. I then disabled the LN2 mode. Press start and Win10 appeared a in few seconds. Again, No Pre Bios screen? Nothing works? I am now at a total loss as to how I can get into the Bios. I will leave it for a few days to see if anyone here can come up with a solution, and then later contact Microsoft and/or Asus for help. Just to say there is no problem when running Win10, and all runs smoothly, as are all games and apps. I will start another post under the heading 'Asus Maximus VIII Hero NO BIOS' ? , to try and get more attention, especially with some with the same MB.

Soldato
Have tried a different keyboard?, the amount of times I've spent trying to access AMT config out in the field when all it's been down to the keyboard type. Failing that disconnect your drives and eventually It may give you the option to access your bios/menus.

Associate
OP
Hard USB keyboard and mouse. I must say this problem was NOT always the case. And up to about 2 weeks ago the Pre Bios and Logo screen did appear before Win10 started up. I have thought of disconnecting the main Win10 hard drive, that should force the bios to start, or I may get another blank screen?. I find this to be a drastic measure!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Intel Core i7-6700K (4.0 GHz), Corsair Vengence DDR4 32GB, Asus Strix GTX980Ti, Corsair AX860 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, Sandisk 480GB SSD, Dell 27' 4K IPS Monitor. Oculus Rift VR.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure it'll be the same for you, but with my setup, when I have my monitor connected via Displayport, I can't see the Bios screen. I can with HDMI though. Maybe try that?

Soldato
Could try disabling "Fast Startup" in Windows.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1031533/

Not sure if this will help though as it is enabled on mine and i can still enter bios.

Are you just pressing DEL once? Could try mashing the key until you either get to bios or Windows.

Removing the CMOS battery is another way of resetting the bios.

Unplug PSU from the wall, press power button on PC for a couple of seconds and then remove the battery for ~ 30 seconds.

Associate
OP
Problem Solved. I have 2 displays connected to the 980Ti, the Monitor (DP) and 4K TV (HDMI), plus the Oculus Rift (DP to HDMI). The Oculus Rift does not affect the start-up screens, but if the TV is on or in standby the Pre Win10 Bios and Logo screen does not show. I have tested this many times, and this is the reason. Thanks for all your help, and especially Vince.

Associate
Problem Solved. I have 2 displays connected to the 980Ti, the Monitor (DP) and 4K TV (HDMI), plus the Oculus Rift (DP to HDMI). The Oculus Rift does not affect the start-up screens, but if the TV is on or in standby the Pre Win10 Bios and Logo screen does not show. I have tested this many times, and this is the reason. Thanks for all your help, and especially Vince.

I'd be interested to know how does having the TV connected, make the win10 screen come up faster than it used to ?
.....but the first screen to come is the blue Win10 sign-in, every time? This screen comes up very quick after pressing start button. I used to get the pre black 'Republic of Gamers' logo screen and the option to access the Bios for about 2-3 seconds, before the blue Win10 sign-in screen

Soldato

Just to back you up I had a similar problem when I had a old TV plugged into my PC (as a third monitor), if the TV was switched off (standby) the PC would not boot into Windows...I ended up buying a monitor as it drove me insane!

Associate
OP
I'd be interested to know how does having the TV connected, make the win10 screen come up faster than it used to ?
I cant answer that question as to why Win10 starts quicker, I would imagine that if the Bios screen is skipped then Win 10 would appear quicker. Having 2 displays does affect the start-up but I do not know the technical reasons why.

Back
Top Bottom