Help understanding what I've got - Minibus

Associate
Hey All,

Unfortunately I lost my father earlier this year who was still at a working age and was working as his own minibus driver.

I have now inherited said mini bus and have attached couple photos below.
I come here to ask for some advice and some help on valuing this vehicle.

So from what I can figure out, I have a
2017 Ford transit bus? 17 seater minibus.
2.2ltr diesel
60,000 odd miles total

No MOT.
Thats not the biggest issue from what I can see, I have been told and had proof from the people who did this work, that my dad had the DPF removed and ad-blue deleted.
The bus itself is in mint condition as far as I can tell, seat covers were on the entire time and have been removed to show the condition of the seats.

So of course I am not a minibus driver and need to sell this. I can put it online of course, message other sellers etc yeah I am okay with that bit.
I genuinely dont have a clue what this is worth though, the ebay market for them seems quite erratic, found similar for around 23k and worse for 21k, middle grounds at 19k.
A friend of dad's has also provided an offer for the bus at 15.

Anyone able to give me some unbiased view, as I am only surrounded by biased views when it comes to this bus.
Happy to provide photos etc etc.

Apologies if not allowed mods.

Soldato
Firstly, my condolences to you and your family.

I have been told and had proof from the people who did this work, that my dad had the DPF removed and ad-blue deleted.

This bit is a bit of a double edge sword. Some buyers will see it as a plus, some as a massive deal breaker given it's not legal to do it.

As for your dad's friend, I'd suggest that he wasn't much of a friend and a bit of a chancer.

Based on your description of the vehicle I have worked out that your father's vehicle is a 2017 Transit 460 Trend 17/18Seat.

This is one that matches similar to your decription and is up at 32,000 - https://bridgecommercials.co.uk/product/192815-2/

Other examples for sale vary from 28k (higher mileage) to 35K (lower mileage) Here's another with 96k on the clock at £30k - https://www.carltonmotorco.co.uk/used-ford-transit-darlington-county-durham-5419076

The 19-23k prices you've mentioned fit the TWELVE seater variant which is obviously a smaller vehicle.

Associate
OP
Have you tried putting it into we buy any car. At least you then know the minimum it’s worth.
14.6k.

This bit is a bit of a double edge sword. Some buyers will see it as a plus, some as a massive deal breaker given it's not legal to do it.
Thank you for your comments, very grateful.
Thats what I understood about the DPF and ad blue, this bus is located just outside ULEZ side of things, so I would imagine this is something people would want fixed.

I had the same thought for dads friend, he seems to be trying to get the deal of the century here, could tell this from his demeanour on the phone and his refusal to even budge to 16k.

As for valuation, this is what I had seen too, the ebay market for the 17 seater seems to be 22k onwards. Had not seen it go as high as the 30's though.
You are correct on the 12 seater variant and prices, this is half the reason I thought dads friend was taking the mick.

If this was your problem as such, what would you do?
Flog as it currently is?
MOT it?
Or try to do DPF and ad blue too?

Many thanks and apologies for the questions!

Soldato
No MOT.
Thats not the biggest issue from what I can see, I have been told and had proof from the people who did this work, that my dad had the DPF removed and ad-blue deleted.
Sorry to hear about your father.

It’ll be an issue to get an MOT without a DPF.
It’ll possibly pass the smoke test, but removing emissions equipment (DPF) is a no no, and it won’t be cheap to refit it and the Adblue system if you need to buy new items.

Associate
OP
It’ll possibly pass the smoke test, but removing emissions equipment (DPF) is a no no, and it won’t be cheap to refit it and the Adblue system if you need to buy new items.
Thank you.

Yeah so I have spoken to the company who did the work initially who removed the DPF section and then got ad blue deleted through the ECU.
They have quoted me 2k to get it put back on and back to normal.

Ad blue items and that are still there, nothing new to buy, but I believe my dad had it deleted due to a problem with the ad blue and he gave up on trying to fix.

Try Motorway. You may well get a better offer.
Thank you, their valuation is already more than dads friends offer - 17.8k.

dpf and ad-blue delete is quite common although not legal, would cost at least 2-3k to put right
does the friend know about the add blue and dpf? if so i would be tempted to counter at say £18k or so and get it off your hands

although you might get more selling it privately but its hassle if you decalre it and morally wrong and not legal if not declared

infact its really not legal to drive with it deleted but loads of people do

Associate
OP
does the friend know about the add blue and dpf? if so i would be tempted to counter at say £18k or so and get it off your hands
He does know exactly about the dpf and ad blue, offered 15k, refuses to go a penny above.
Even offered to bring it round in 15k cash.
He knows he's trying to get a steal here and I am fortunate enough to not be dumb enough to fall for it.

although you might get more selling it privately but its hassle if you decalre it and morally wrong and not legal if not declared

infact its really not legal to drive with it deleted but loads of people do
Thank you, I am aware it is technically not legal and if sold as seen, nothings changed, if they get pulled over a tank dipped, they'll be in trouble.

if I have told them and they chose not to fix it, cant come back to me right?

Its why it leaves me with the below, unsure how to proceed or the best way to proceed;
If this was your problem as such, what would you do?
Flog as it currently is?
MOT it?
Or try to do DPF and ad blue too?

Last edited:
I do have some experience of this. I did buy a van and about 6 months after I bought it I found it had its dpf gutted. I drove it like that for a few more months then had it replaced and remapped back in. Moted it then sold it. 2 weeks later the buyer was driving it and the turbo went causing the engine to fail. He had to spend 5k on a new one as it was a friend of a friend I gave him the cost of a reconned turbo back and left it at that
I guess the original owner had it taken out for an issue and by putting it back in it caused the turbo to fail. Funny enough the garage that did the work washed there hands of it. Horrible situation

Soldato
I would start by chucking it in for an MOT test and seeing what happens. You won't get a sensible price if it doesn't have a ticket.

The other thing is check to see if you have the D1 category on your licence. If you don't then you might not be able to drive it.

Soldato
Thank you, their valuation is already more than dads friends offer - 17.8k.
I'm assuming that is without mentioning the DPF / Ad-Blue removal? If so £17.8k - £2k to put right = similar ball park to the offer already made.

That said I'm always cautious when it comes to selling anything to friends / family / acquaintances as there is often an assumption that if a problem rears its head in 6 months time that they can come back and try to make it your problem.

Personally, I'd invest the £2k and move it through Motorway.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would start by chucking it in for an MOT test and seeing what happens. You won't get a sensible price if it doesn't have a ticket.

The other thing is check to see if you have the D1 category on your licence. If you don't then you might not be able to drive it.
Thank you, aware of the D1 requirement, I am not legally allowed to drive the bus, which makes the MOT a bit more challenging.
No Mot, no insurance, no legal driver for it.

I'm assuming that is without mentioning the DPF / Ad-Blue removal? If so £17.8k - £2k to put right = similar ball park to the offer already made.

That said I'm always cautious when it comes to selling anything to friends / family / acquaintances as there is often an assumption that if a problem rears its head in 6 months time that they can come back and try to make it your problem.

Personally, I'd invest the £2k and move it through Motorway.
Yes that is correct.
frankly the guy is not my friend and I wont be having any dealings with him in the future anyway, so if he did take the bus and came asking 6 months later, he would just be ignored for many reasons which is why I dont really want to sell it to him either.

Thank you for the advice though, I suspect I will end up doing the work, this will mean dads friends wont touch it and I should be able to get an actual return on it.

Associate
OP
For a quick sale, I'd just take this.
Even with context of the below?
This is one that matches similar to your decription and is up at 32,000 - https://bridgecommercials.co.uk/product/192815-2/

Other examples for sale vary from 28k (higher mileage) to 35K (lower mileage) Here's another with 96k on the clock at £30k - https://www.carltonmotorco.co.uk/used-ford-transit-darlington-county-durham-5419076
To me it screams a "friend" trying to take advantage of a grieving family.
I had this feeling before I started this thread as its been going on for a little bit.

If the bus was worth 19k all in, yeah arguing over 2k aint worth it, but there is potentially 10k here.

Soldato
Stick it on an ebay auction with a modest starting price around the values you’ve already been offered and an honest description of its condition and how you’ve come to be in a position to be selling it. If it’s undervalued it’ll attract bids, if not you can take one of the offers on the table.

Man of Honour

To me it screams a "friend" trying to take advantage of a grieving family.
I had this feeling before I started this thread as its been going on for a little bit.

If the bus was worth 19k all in, yeah arguing over 2k aint worth it, but there is potentially 10k here.
At the end of the day in it's current state it's got no MOT and illegal mods. £2.8k from Motorway is assuming it's all above board so he's basically offering you trade price minus what it would cost to make it legal.

Doesn't seem entirely unreasonable

Commissario
Considering it has no ticket and has been modified to make it illegal, yes. I'd jump at that to simply wash my hands of it.

We dealt with my mums estate a couple of years ago and there's a lot to do. For the sake of a quick sale and to get rid of it quickly, I'd not think twice about this offer.

Back
Top Bottom