Help upgrade i haven't got a clue please help

Associate
Hi all, sorry another tedious upgrade post. I have an old system amd 1400 geoforce 4200 ti 128 meg 40 gig hard drive 512 ram windows 98!!!!
etc and i really want to play newer games ie far cry fear etc UT 2007 when it comes out i really don't want to spend a fortune but maybe mid range parts i want something that will last me a few years so what do you think?
i would be prepared to spen around £300 for a good graphics card and would it be a good idea to get an amd dual core or is it a waste of money.
I have a coolermaster case which is very noisy would i keep this or replace it i will need the whole tower and all contents ie new sound card psu well everything i am a complete novice with computers but my friend who isn't will build it for me.
this whole subject is confusing do you get nvidia or ati i have read gibbo saying that the ati cards are great, if so do you need the 512 meg card or is the 256 card ok
also how do you all know which m/board to put with which other parts
is it better to go for a pci? what is sli is that for nvidia?
sorry for so many questions as for budget maybe £800ish or is that unlikely i will go a bit higher if it means it will last longer, also will it be upgradeable ie faster cpu with the same m/board in it i have a new monitor so it's just the rest and is it better to build your own rather than buy a tower unit made up. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom