• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help: Upgrade Prescott CPU to Dual Core?

Associate
Hi all

Is it possible to replace an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2 GHz (Front Bus Speed 800 MHz & Cache 1024 kB) which is currently sitting in a Sunshine GA-8I915PM mobo with a new dual core CPU? I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way of upgrading my computer.

Big thanxs as usual xoxoxo

Bob

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice

I think Ill stick with the existing mobo for a while longer then and ignore the Dual core upgrade path. My existing chip is a Prescott 3.2Ghz - is it worthwhile upgrading this to a faster Prescott variant? ....and although this is a CPU thread could I indulge and ask if it is worthwhile upgrading my ATI X600 graphics card (i want to run the 24" Dell TFT when I get the pennies) and adding to the two x 512mb memory sticks I have installed? The PC is a plain old home computer that is used to surf, word process, light gaming and internet usage.

Again, I appreciate all advice

Bob xoxoxo

Associate
OP
Cheers - great advice and I really appreciate it.

Ill leave both the mobo and cpu well alone. What advice could I have re the graphics card (I would have more money available to spend because im retaining the mobo/cpu so price isnt a limiting factor now!!!). Likewise am i better to beef up the RAM and if so, do I need to bin the existing sticks to upgrade?

Thanks again

Bob

Associate
OP
The video card is a ATI Radeon X600 (RV380 Pro) with PCI Express Interface so I'll buy a X1800 XT or similar and hold off on the RAM [may be able to get a 24" Dell sooner than I thought lol!!!]

Thanks for all your kind assistance

cheers, Bob

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom